So with a focus of summer into early fall, here's what I have in mind for my capsule wardrobe:
1. Fitted to semi-fitted top, knee-length flared/A-line skirt. I figure this can be either dresses or separates, and I'm thinking along the lines of this, minus the seasonal transition half on the right side:
2. Maxi-dress! This one shows with a denim jacket, which is probably good for summer layering as needed. Alternately, a maxi-skirt with a fitted top would work well. I do love me a flowy skirt in the summer.
3. Fitted top with fitted to semi-fitted pants/jeans. I may have to throw shorts into this category-- I avoid wearing them when I can, but sometimes you really do need a pair or two for situations where a skirt is overdoing it. Like hanging out at the park. Or my retail job where I'm sitting outside in 90-100+ degree temperatures for hours. Ugh. And I really don't have many shorts at all by this point.
Like I said, I wanted to go with things that are in my stash as much as possible. And I already had several projects in mind. Mainly involving these 3 fabrics:
So this is the palette that I pulled from here:
The yellow is mostly going to come through in the prints, but I do need some warm colors in my wardrobe! And no green this time (aside from what's in that one print), surprisingly, but I do have quite a few green things by now, and I've been feeling a need to have more purple in my closet for awhile now. And royal blue, because I don't have a ton of that at the moment either.
Sarai suggested going through your closet and seeing what you already have that fits the palette and silhouettes first, so I'm going to start with that, and then make my sewing wishlist.
What I have:
Tops: my purple Sadie tank, my French Vanilla knit top, black and ivory camisoles, a basic black v-neck tee and tank, a longer/flowier black tank with ivory trim, a drapier cowl-neck ivory tank, a black semi-fitted pullover blouse, my knitted Odyssey tank, a thrifted plum-colored short-sleeve knit top, a couple of graphic t-shirts
Bottoms: A basic black a-line skirt, a shorter dark denim skirt, my TARDIS skirt, my charcoal and navy Thurlows. (Charcoal's close enough to black for this purpose.) Also a couple pairs of jeans. I'll throw my sunflower skirt into this as well, because it does have the blue and purple.
Dresses: None that fit the palette. Honestly, I had to recently get rid of the majority of my dresses due to some weight gain/fitting issues. (No, I'm not pregnant, I just gained a little weight after the wedding, probably from basically eating out at fancy restaurants for every meal during our resort honeymoon--and maybe a few too many strawberry daquiris--and I'm having trouble getting it to go away again.) So this is an area of my wardrobe that could use a few things for sure.
Layering pieces: a plum 3/4 sleeve jacket, my reconstructed black short-sleeved cardigan
What I hope/plan to make: (all from stash unless otherwise noted)
|Pile o' stash!!|
- A navy daisy-print tank, most likely a slightly modified Sorbetto.
- A royal blue button-down blouse, from a Burda mag. I've had the idea for awhile now, but I'm too lazy to look up the pattern.
- A navy Archer blouse, which will probably be closer to the fall.
- A striped ivory knit tee--hoping to use the Plantain but we'll see if I have enough fabric.
- Fitted/skinny-ish jeans. I think I'm going to attempt to use up the denim from the TARDIS skirt to figure this out, because I have an idea for how I can make it a design feature if I need to make them a bit roomier, thanks to the shiny side.
- Thurlow shorts. I think I might have just enough of the navy and charcoal denims from the pants to squeeze some out. And it's not like I don't know how to fit this pattern by now, am I right?
- Solid black Thurlow pants, which I do not currently have fabric for.
- Possibly some black Clover pants-- I have fabric that will work, but have not tested this pattern yet. So we'll see if I get to it.
- If I have time, a Pavlova skirt. The fabric I have is currently white with black polka dots, but I'm planning to dye it.
- I also have a plum skirt that I can do a quick refashion of to make it a better skirt.
- A navy/ivory Cambie (which is actually going to be one of my next projects)
- A plum/yellow/royal/white Darling Ranges. This may be closer to fall, it depends on whether I decide to stick with the elbow-length sleeves or make them shorter.
- A yellow/white/turquoise Reglisse dress. I'm planning on fully underlining this in gold Bemberg, both for opacity and in hopes that it gives the white a little more of an ivory tone.
- A plum/green/white/ knit Tiramisu maxi-dress
- A black tank knit maxidress, from McCall's 6559. (I know, it looks a lot like the Mission Maxi, and normally I'd be all about supporting the indie designers, but I got the pattern from less than $1.)
- a 3/4 sleeve jacket, from the ivory/black embroidered twill I got at Mood and Simplicity 4491 (which I'll modify to shorten and cuff the sleeves.)
- An ivory Carmine shrug. I wanted to make the jacket, but I only have a yard of the knit. Oh well.
- a yellow knitted cardigan, which I already have yarn and a pattern for, but starting it will have to wait until I finish my grey cardigan.
I'm hoping this isn't horribly over-ambitious of me. Especially since I still have some costume sewing to do (or start-- I just finished cutting the one part of my Tauriel costume out on Tuesday), some refashion projects I'd love to get to on the side, I do need some summer pajamas, and I also would love to get a Cooper bag made up before the end of the summer. And I do have a winter coat that will need replacing, which I really should try to start by the beginning of September. I figure the knits will go fast, especially since they're mostly patterns I've used before. So we'll see how this goes.