November 24, 2007

Succumbing to temptation....again.

A twofold meaning to that title.

First, I did go ahead and cut out that brocade jacket that I'd been thinking of. A New Look pattern, but not sure it's on their site anymore (couldn't find it browsing the site.) To be perfectly frank and a little personal for a moment, I've been fighting a major funk for several months now, and since it's making it hard for me to motivate myself even to do crafty things, I figured it would be best to go with what I'm actually feeling enthusiastic about for awhile, at least until this mood lifts.

Secondly, I wasn't going to go shopping yesterday. After all, it was Black Friday, and thanks to the influences of Wardrobe Refashion and reading Relevant Magazine, as well as a growing dissatisfaction with how over-commercialized Christmas is as I get older, I've noticed my attitude towards consumerism has been undergoing a change this year. So I didn't want to support that. That, or mess with the traffic. But then my mom asked me if I wanted to go to Joann's, and since I did realize I'll need to make a shirt to wear under that brocade jacket (don't currently own anything that would work) and figured it would be nice to spend some time with my mom (the work schedule doesn't allow for that too often), I went. And, of course, came out with four more pieces of fabric than I'd intended. I can justify one (a jewel-toned silky print in blues and greens) as honestly needing something else to wear with my navy blue cords because I'm bored with always wearing a white button-down blouse with it (the white button-down bores me anyway, but it's just one of those things that's just necessary at times). And another piece (a crinkled silky teal with gold floral embroidery) I can justify because it's a good color/embroidery design for spring, and I really am in need of short-sleeved tops I can wear while working. The other two (one very colorful silky print that I'm not quite sure how to describe, but the fabric was so interesting, and a green striped brocade, which is a description that really doesn't do it justice... I might have to edit this post with pictures later!), well, um, I just liked them.

Once again, so much for my resolution to use up things in my stash before I buy new things.

But two other good things about going to Joann's-- I did find another piece of that scrapbook paper I needed for the road trip album, and I got materials to make a scarf as a present for one of my friends. It'll be interesting to see if it works, because it's a mesh that you weave the yarns into (the thought of making one out of fleece just bored me, since I couldn't think of a way to make it both her style and interesting, and me trying to knit or crochet it would just result in disaster.) I got the yarn cut last night, and will most likely work on the weaving while at my mom's parents for Thanksgiving #2 this afternoon, since I can chat and do that at the same time.

2 comments:

  1. Your blog is SO cute, Becky! I love it!! I've been desiring to learn how to sew!! Maybe your blog will inspire me even more :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:02 AM

    i think you would really enjoy the new book Brown Like Coffee at brownlikecoffee.com

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!