June 17, 2008

Adventures in knitwear

I love having a serger. I have never had such an easy time in assembling anything made out of knit fabric. It's not done yet by any means-- still have to add the zipper, the belt, hem the sleeves and skirt, and, um, probably try to tighten up the waistline a good bit. But this is the dress I've been working on so far.
I'm really glad I had that serger class before I made this. These were the most painless sleeves I've ever set in. No basting, no gathering, all I had to do was pin it in, start serging, change the differential feed between the dots, and voila!

Two perfectly set-in sleeves with no stretching, no puckering, and no basting stitches to rip out! Which, now that I look at it, you can't really see in this picture. You can, however, see the gorgeous fabric that I got from, where else, Gorgeous Fabrics!

2 comments:

  1. Cool! I like my serger a lot too. :)
    Although, I didn't get a class and I hadn't heard about the sleeves trick - I'll have to look into that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if a cheap used serger in good condition exsists waiting for me to buy it somewhere!? :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!