December 5, 2008

Friday Favorites, Episode 31 (and the results of yesterday's poll)

First off, thanks to those of you that responded to my post yesterday. The vote is really close! But I've decided to go with the BWOF subscription. I am still a little nervous about trying to figure out the non-visual instructions, but since one of my ongoing craft goals (that so far I'm failing miserably at) is to reduce my stash of supplies/fabric, I need things that will enable me to use up some of said fabric stash rather than expand it, and patterns from the Big 4 don't really inspire me much these days, for the most part. Plus, since I haven't managed to find it in any of my local bookstores, the only way I can get any issues is to buy them online at something like $16 a pop. If I find things I like in more than 4 issues, it's pretty much paid for itself at that price. Plus, truth be told, I'm kind of feeling right now like getting nice fabric would be a waste of the money, since it's not like I have occasions to wear really spectacular outfits of pricier fabrics. It might just be a case of the winter blahs setting in early this year... *sigh*

Anyway, on to the link list, which I'll have to keep concise today since I have a major rush-around day going here.

First off, I'm finding Rostitchery's series of posts on how she's trying to hand-make her Christmas gifts/decorations completely out of things around the house rather inspiring. It's amazing what can be done with what's on hand. Weekend Designer had some really classy-looking ornaments made of ribbon and lavender, and on the other end of the spectrum, Thrifty Decor Chick featured a Christmas tree made of... *drumroll* Mt. Dew cans. XD (I learned about this one via Miss Celie's Pants.) Craft Leftovers has some tips for fixing broken ornaments, Sewtakeahike had a very cute ice skate gift tag, Crafting a Green World showed how to recycle old Christmas cards into gift tags, and Whip Up had a huge list of festive tutorial goodness. And on a completely non-Christmasy note, I thought the baby Princess Leia costume at Clevergirl.org was just too cute (in a totally geeky sort of way, but that's ok because I kind of am a geek.)

And with that, I'm off...hopefully teaching Cassie how to reconstruct a t-shirt tonight. Mwahaha.

2 comments:

  1. Yay - I'm glad you're getting the subscription! I understand your hesitancy about not having illustrated instructions - I hardly used my magazines at first for that very reason. Just start with the easy styles and once you push through, you will think much more intuitively about garment construction. Plus, you always have your blog or Pattern Review to post cries for help :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Christina, start with easy styles... one awesome thing about BWOF is alot of their easy styles have some sort of unique detail that makes them special and more stylish...
    great link list! thanks for posting them!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!