January 8, 2009

Progress and Ponderings

This is what I've been working on for the last couple of days. I'm calling these my "princess pajamas"-- I mean, come on, purple satin with silver trim? But I think they're going to be really nice and luxurious when it's done. And hopefully warm, since it's flannel-backed!

Here's a somewhat close-up of the collar. I'm really proud about how well the tapering on the collar turned out-- granted, I did have to fudge it a little to get it to meet up, but I think the result was worth it. (Mostly.... in the process, I did sew my finger a little bit. First time I've ever done that, which I think it pretty good since I've been sewing since I was 7!)

I'm contemplating summer clothes again... dreamed that I was talking about sewing with one of my closest friends (who is, ironically, the least crafty of the bunch), and I remember specifically discussing a BWOF wrap skirt that caught my eye in my July '08 back issue....and woke up inspired to make something completely different. My idea would have to be a knit. So now I'm pondering how to make it work. That, and between that and my halter-style dress that I want t make for my mini-wardrobe, whether I need to also ponder building bras into both of these garments. Because I don't exactly like my strapless, and the nature of the straps on both garments would make them less than bra-friendly. (And bra-less is NOT an option!) So here's my question--have any of you ever done something like that? (Especially on a knit?) How hard was it?

2 comments:

  1. I would bite the bullet and go bra-shopping if there is more than one thing you want one for... I have built in bras, and it's difficult without a knit. I can't imagine a knit...And wearing a bra feels much more secure to me.

    btw, I am Sarah. I love your blog! I found it randomly. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yikes! going bra-less is a scarry thought for me!lol!
    I have built bras into lots of costumes and dance dresses... I find it easy if I build the dress/costume around the bra.. instead of making the dress and putting the bra in... does that make ANY sense???

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!