January 20, 2009

Sometimes I just don't want to sew.

I've had people ask me before if I would ever consider trying to make money by sewing. Admittedly, I have gone back and forth on it, but when it comes down to it, I really don't think I would want to. See, I have this tendency to not want to sew when it's something I have to sew. Like, for instance, the pantsuit that I spent so much time on in December. I'm in one of those moods right now, because right now, I have to make those shrug jackets to go along with the bridesmaid dresses for my friend's wedding. It wasn't so bad when it was only two, but now that I have to make 3 of the 4, I'm beginning to feel like it's a lot of work. And it's not like I haven't done anything at all-- I cut out and sewed together the muslin over the weekend, and fitted it on the other two bridesmaids to see what changes need to be made. But after all the additional work that went into the shower (which was Sunday--and incidentally, Kaylee was a hit), I kind of need a break from wedding stuff! After all, when you're as single as it gets, it's just not healthy to have weddings on the brain all the time.

So I had the entire day off yesterday--wasn't supposed to, but we had some bad weather that prevented me from driving out to do my flute teaching--and I didn't sew at all. That's not to say that I wasn't crafty, though. I did a LOT of scrapbook work yesterday--got out the stamps and embossing stuff and made some embellishments, and I typed up (and even printed out!) some journaling, trimmed some papers, sketched out a few more layouts, stuff like that. I still have some work to do (mainly on the writing end) but I should have several pages that will only require minimal prep work before assembling for our crafty weekend. And since I was working mostly in my room, I also got to spend the day chatting with a couple good friends over IM.

I probably won't end up starting the shrugs until the weekend-- tomorrow is band day, so I have more work than during the rest of the week ATM, and I also have a flute demo for kids that I'm trying to get ready for that's on Thursday. But I've got till March, so I think I can allow myself a little procrastination. There's only 2 pattern pieces, it won't be that hard. In the meantime, I've still got scrapbook work to do, and embroidery to work on so I can actually sew that shirt, and pictures of Friday's reconstructed shirt to take.

4 comments:

  1. Girl, you said it. When anything creative becomes an obligation it seems like burnout is right around the corner. If you want a break, take one. It's probably really refreshing for our creativity to take time away every now and then.

    Can't wait to see that shirt refashion of yours last week! And thanks for the shout-out in your most recent Friday edition. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is absolutely necessary for you to have your "down time" whatever that means. For me it involves a glass (or two) of red wine and a recorded TV show (gossip girl, lipstick jungle, etc.) I will also admit, that I enjoy creating a brand new skirt for sale at the shop without any input or obligation, much more than doing custom work. sometimes the pressure is just too great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel the EXACT same way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hear ya'. Wedding sewing is especially hard with the nice fabric and pressure to get things just right added onto the normal insane pressure weddings have. I've found that sewing as a business can work out well... but for me it means using a basic, make-it-in-my-sleep pattern for the main stuff and then taking occasional breaks to try out new stuff to keep from getting bored. Even then I think it only works because I'm not taking orders but just selling what I make when I make it. I could NEVER do alterations or (even worse) bridal sewing. I did the bridesmaids dress thing once and that was plenty!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!