April 11, 2010

Shakespeare on the Green

That's what I've decided to call this top, anyway--getting inspiration from Anthropologie (and now ModCloth as well) always makes me want to give my garments cute names!

Anyway, it's finished as of about five minutes ago--I almost had it hemmed on Friday night, and then discovered that the bobbin thread (which is what was showing on the outside) was too blue of a green and it was showing very obviously. Not only that, but my machine had skipped several stitches. So I ripped it out last night after my killer 10-hour work day, and sewed it this morning since I don't have to get to church early for tech crew or anything.

This is the same Burda 6-09 pattern as the last shirt, so rather than do a whole pattern review, I'll just talk about the changes. I knew I wanted to make this one look rather different, particularly since they were two different shades of the same color. So instead of using the pleated front piece this time, I used the front lining piece that I decided was unnecessary in the original shirt (I had it cut out anyway, since this was the test version.) And then I extended the dart in a pintuck all the way to the shoulder to make a mock princess seam. Since I still had the problem of not having allowed enough for a hem on the sleeve, I extended the sleeve with the box-pleated trim. And then added some center-stitched box-pleated trim around the neck as well. (The edges of the trim are done with a rolled-hem stitch off of my serger.)

To give credit where it's due, the inspiration for the pleated trim came from the "Shakespeare In The Park" top at ModCloth.  So I'd already decided to give it this name before I finished it...the neckline trim ending up a bit more ruffly than I thought ended up being a bit of a happy accident in light of that! It's kind of reminiscent of those Elizabethan ruffs without being so literal. Also, I have to say that I'm really impressed with ModCloth's customer service--after commenting on the usual length of their dresses in a recent post, someone from their business took the time to comment on my post to point me to a page where they'd collected their longer dresses! I don't actually need to buy any dresses at the moment, but I think they just convinced me to go ahead and get this vest that I've been debating about...


And one more shot of the back. So now that this one's done, I'm hoping to maybe get the next sewing project cut out this afternoon--I'll be making this skirt in a solid black. The only hitch in the plan is that I seem to have misplaced my directions for using the skirt sloper pattern that I made in the Pattern Review class last fall to check the fitting of a different skirt pattern! I emailed them to see if I could get another copy of that particular lesson, since the pdfs won't save onto your hard drive-- I'm pretty sure it's not going to happen, but worth a shot, right? I'd better head to church now, though.

4 comments:

  1. Would you mind sharing how you made and attached the ruffle neckline?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It came out really beautiful. I love that shade of green!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this top! You did a fantastic job! Looks so RTW and modern.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for this tutorial!

    It inspired me to use it as a detail down the front of a plain top. I've linked this tutorial to my blog post for it.

    (http://scaredstitchless.blogspot.com/2010/06/project-5-lydia-top-with-folded-ruffle.html)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!