January 11, 2011
So that's where things stand on my dress now-- I'm waiting to get the go-ahead from the class instructor before I move on to phase 2, which is going to be making this muslin into a pattern/marking everything on the underlining/ basting all of that to the actual fabric. As soon as I figure out which side of the fabric I actually want to use--there's a matte side and a more shiny side to it. (I'd take pictures, but you know, black fabric never shows up right.) I'm actually thinking the matte side just so I can more easily make it work with the dress it up/dress it down thing, but I do love shiny things... And I also need to figure out just what, exactly, I'm going to underline the skirt with. I'm not sure it will have the right drape if I use the silk organza, but I'm also not sure I have enough of the silk crepe de chine that I got for the lining to use that.
The cotton/silk blend washed up wonderfully--it's SO soft to the touch! I think I'm going to end up with some leftovers from it, because even though when I laid out the pattern on the muslin to estimate the yardage, and didn't attach the lower piece of the long skirt, I didn't realize that the skirt was going to be quite so long as is. So I ended up chopping at least 8 or 9 inches off of the muslin! I'm hoping that maybe I have enough left over to make myself some kind of sleeveless blouse from the rest, because I suspect it would be wonderful to wear in the summer!
I just may have to do some kind of quickie project this afternoon, though, because I have some time to sew and I don't want to waste it on waiting!