January 31, 2011

Hmm...this does not bode well.

First of all, to answer a couple of comments on the last post: Thank you! The back actually isn't as complicated as it looks, aside from the strap assembly--it's basically a lot of gathering. And yes, Gail, I was already planning on doing a hand-picked zipper. (Both the pattern and the class specifically call for it.) But thank you for the suggestion regardless!

Moving on...

I spent the afternoon and evening with my best friend, who happens to be an avid crocheter and is completely thrilled that I'm attempting a yarn craft. So, of course, I worked on knitting while she crocheted and we chatted and watched a few episodes of Doctor Who and such. Which led me to this....
It took me several failed attempts, a demonstration from my mom, and several more failed attempts to get this started. The good news is, once I got a few rows into the ribbing, the double-pointed needle thing got a LOT easier, and I was actually able to make some decent progress tonight.

The bad news is, I think I may have to start over anyway--it's hard to tell from the angle of the picture (best I could do while wearing it), but this thing is huge around my super-skinny wrist. So I suspect that doing the called-for increases at the hand area will just make this entire thing annoyingly loose overall. And since it is knitted in the round, I'm thinking I won't really know where a row begins if I only partially rip it out. :-(

I'm thinking that my best bet would be to try decreasing the amount of stitches some after the ribbing--these are meant to be long fingerless gloves, and the ribbing is a pretty good circumference for my forearm (despite the fact that I also realized I was supposed to do the ribbing one needle size down. Oops.) So I don't want to decrease the overall number of stitches right from the beginning.

Any thoughts from the knitters who might be reading this?

On the plus side, I have figured a couple of things out with this:
  • I now know how to actually get the double-pointed needles to work. At least, once it's started.
  • I also know I can make ribbing without too many headaches.
  • I think I've figured that I like working with bamboo needles a lot more than I like aluminum ones. I tried both this afternoon, and the stitches just slide off of the metal far too easily, which meant I kept dropping lots of stitches. I was having the same problem with the single-pointed needles, and ended up using the bamboo for almost the entire scarf and the entire dishcloth. So that's good to know, right?
  • And I know I like the way this yarn looks knitted up!
So at least I can chalk this up to good practice...especially if I have to rewrite this pattern to fit as I go! Though Cassie and I were chatting and she thinks I do have a bit of an advantage over her when she was first learning crochet-- even though the abbreviations are still all practically Greek to me, at least I know how to follow a pattern, thanks to a couple decades' worth of practice in sewing! (And that also makes me a lot more comfortable with the idea of having to change it.... I just wish that didn't involve starting from scratch!)

5 comments:

  1. Uh, sorry about that!
    Next time maybe try to mark where the row begins somehow... a safety pin should do the job. I tend to know where it begins (maybe thanks to my slightly messy cast-ons), so I didn't even realise this could be a problem...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a marker on the needle... I just don't know how to keep track of that if I'm undoing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, there's always a given number of stitches on each needle, isn't there? So go down from the beginning you know of, by the stitches as they go in vertical, until you arrive at the place you want to stop, and mark there with the safety pin.
    Does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I am a newby beginner knitter, I enjoy reading about knitting dilemnas. My teacher told me to always follow the pattern and not to try decreasing or increasing on my own without a lot more experience. I'm still trying to figure out the fitting part. There's no basting to check for fit in knitting! So far, I'm at the point of starting over and learning from experience.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such pretty yarn! I'm sure they are going to be wonderful once you work out the fitting issue... good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!