(Sorry...couldn't resist the pun.)
Anywhoo...still no word from the instructor about that muslin, so I went ahead and did a quickie project.
pirate costume boots with a little help from some self-stitched gaiters, and also as riding boots one summer that I took lessons, between my two years of grad school.) So this is to help them last a little longer, because they flop over at the ankles when I put them back in the closet after a day.
I got the idea from a recent post at Craft Apple, and it was really simple to sew--basically just an open-ended tube that's stuffed and tied. And everything was stuff I had on hand: the fabric was from my scrap bin that I put together in last week's organization binge, the cording was left over from lacing up the back of one of my Lord of the Rings-inspired costumes, and the stuffing actually busted an entire piece from my stash! I had almost a yard of this canary-colored fleece that I think was given to me for free, because I can't think of any reason I would have bought it. And I had absolutely no idea what to do with it. So I chopped the entire piece into smaller bits and used that to stuff these. It might sound kind of wasteful, but in a way it was actually pretty practical--if I ever need to clean these since they're inside my shoes, I can just untie the bags, dump all the stuffing into a mesh laundry bag and it's completely machine-washable. And like I said, I couldn't think of anything I'd actually sew out of it anyway. So there.One yard down, a thousand to go. Or something like that.
I'll make a second set at some point-- I have brown boots that are even older than these and also need some love. And I think I have just enough of the batik print left for a second pair. So I just need to figure out what to stuff it with. Maybe that yard of royal blue fleece that I'm also not sure what to do with...