March 30, 2011

Guess I'm committed.

A few posts ago, I mentioned that I was almost sure I'd be letting go of the Etsy shop. Well, I've started raiding the collection of jewelry that I'd made for the craft fair, i.e. what I'd be attempting to sell on there, and actually wearing some of it myself. So since letting go of the shop means I'm not going to be posting in the blog I made to go along with it, I'm going to start showing those things in here as I pull them for myself or give them away.

So here's my first keeper:

I was really pleased with how this turned out, and had thought for sure that it would get snatched up at the fair. All of the beads are recycled from a bracelet I found on one of my thrift store excursions--it was this loop of pewter-looking bead holders strung on elastic. Every holder had something like 4 or 5 loops, and every one of those had something like 3 beads, so there were a LOT of beads on this thing. I wasn't really wearing bracelets at the time, and this one wasn't really appealing to me as is, but I'd figured I could use the beads for something. I think the freshwater pearls just might be real, but the rest of it is definitely faux pearls and crystals. I put it on 3 different types of chain.

(And here's a more closeup pic of the earrings.)

I already had a couple of brown necklaces I really like and wear often, but they're kind of more seasonal-looking to me since they have shells and leaves and such. So I figured this set would be a good supplement to that.

I've pulled a couple of other things for myself, which I'll post as I go. But here's what else has been going on in my crafty little world:

I had a nice chunk of sewing time on Monday, so I started that dress that I was planning to knock out. So far, I have the pleats done in both the front and the back, and am working on the yoke pieces. Hopefully those pleats are ok, because the directions were making absolutely no sense to me for that part. It's these weird pattern pieces that have chunks cut out of them, and the straight line at the bottom of the chunk is supposed to be the top of the pleat, and somehow you're supposed to sew across that without getting the outer part and still have it press flat. Yeah, that wasn't happening. So I kind of ended up winging it and adding some topstitching--both to capitalize on the corset-looking nature of the seams, and to actually get the top part of those pleats to stay in place. On the plus side, the paisley pattern ended up matching up much better than I expected it to, particularly at the bottom of the pleats!

In knitting news, the wrap still looks just like a longer version of the same picture I posted before. I think it's somewhere around 20" long now. Maybe a little more. So I kind of feel like it's less exciting to blog about since it's just a giant rectangle of the same thing over and over. But I haven't gotten completely bored with knitting it yet, most likely since I'm just doing a row here and there as I don't have time to do other things, and the instructions call for making it 47" so I guess I'm about halfway done. Maybe a little less. I recently started the third ball of yarn, and I have 6. I have to at the very least use 5 of them, preferably all 6, because I said so. And I don't care if it's a little longer as a result. I'm still trying to avoid creating a yarn stash to rival my fabric/bead/scrapbook paper ones, darn it, and so far I'm doing a pretty good job!

On a random note, I've also been refashioning my hair a bit this week! Nothing drastic, just got a slightly differently-styled haircut with a little more shaping (and most of the length I had before.) And my sis-in-law gave me a block of henna from LUSH for my birthday this year (part of my ongoing quest to be a natural redhead, whether my hair wants to or not, and I've liked the more natural look and feel that the henna gives my hair. Plus less chemical damage and more eco-friendly. Yay!) At the suggestion of the lovely helpful store employee I was talking to on Sunday, I ended up putting it in last night and wrapping it up, and sleeping on it, and washing it out this morning. So far, the color's turned out the best out of the henna products I've tried, and it actually washed out much cleaner in terms of toweling it off afterwards! But I can't show any pics yet--since this henna also had cocoa butter mixed in, and the instructions for washing it out called for both shampoo and conditioner, my hair ended up so heavily conditioned today that I pretty much had no choice but to ponytail it. It literally feels like I forgot to wash the conditioner out of my hair. Ugh. Hopefully it'll be better tomorrow. But at least it's an awesome shade of red.

2 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing your haircut and color. :) I'm in desperate need of a cut. My hair is do frayed on the end from winter damage. Yuck.

    I really like the necklace, the chains and pearls are a nice combination, and the crystal beads make the whole thing pop.

    I have no patience for knitting, so I admire you for sticking to getting that wrap done and actually enjoying it. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such pretty jewellery... definitely a keeper

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!