April 10, 2011

Read like an Egyptian

First of all, thanks for all of the compliments on my dress so far! I finished it last night, but I'm not going to show it yet. I've found that I still have some work to do in order to get my dummy tweaked to my measurements--it seems to be a bit broader in the back than I am at the moment, and the dress doesn't really fit it as well as me so it's hard to get good pictures. And it's way too dark to get a decent picture on myself-- the lighting in here is just awful for that sort of thing. So I'm going to show my somewhat spontaneous afternoon/evening project instead.

Years ago, I saw a pillow similar to this in one of my mom's catalogs, and thought it was such a clever idea--a pillow to prop one's book up at the perfect angle! I've had the picture clipped in my inspiration notebook that I occasionally consult for years, since I was having a serious case of both DIY snobbery (i.e. "I can totally make that") and my usual cheapskate ways ("You want me to pay $30 for a pillow? That's ___ movie tickets/books/yards of fabric that I can get on sale/albums/etc.") But I never quite got to it.

It was actually knitting that brought it to mind again-- I've gotten to the point of the wrap where I'm getting bored with the repetitive nature of it and just want to get it done so I can move on to something else. So in order to keep my brain busy, I was experimenting the other day with reading at the same time. Slowed me down on both, but it worked--albeit rather awkwardly, since I was sitting here in my computer chair using my knee to keep my book pinned between my leg and the little pull-out board that my keyboard sits on. (Yes, I know that this would have been a lot easier if I'd been using my Kindle at the time, but I was already reading the paperback.) So attempting to copy this book pillow, finally, seemed like a good solution.

And here's the results!
 I didn't entirely make this up-- I got the idea for the base from this tutorial on Instructables. But I didn't really care for the more domed top that just using two squares made, so I went for cutting four triangles for the top instead. (Projects like this make it great to have a quilter mother, because she had a perfectly-sized equilateral triangle-shaped ruler!) And then I had to do some improvising with the base because my math was off and I had to add strips, and then figure out how to get the corners to work from there...so it's not as neat a job as I could have done, but I'm still pretty proud of it.
Isn't this fabric just so fun? I got it as a stocking stuffer a few Christmases ago-- kind of an inside joke from my mom, because we both enjoy the now-defunct show Stargate SG-1, in which the race of evil aliens is based largely on Egyptian mythology.  I know it's kind of geeky of me, but I just couldn't resist using it for a pyramid! (Plus then it helps my stashbusting efforts-- I used nearly the entire yard, and just have a rather oddly-shaped smallish piece left. So into the scrap bin it goes.)

I did make one small modification to the original design--I added a piece of elastic that goes around 3 sides of the pyramid to help hold the book open. It's not working quite as well as I'd hoped with my current read-- I've been re-reading all of my Tolkien books to follow along with this podcasted college class, which has been a lot of fun. Of course, all of my Lord of the Rings books have been read through and carried around in my bookbag and/or purse quite a few times, so the spines are all creased up (to the point where I may start losing pages, in some cases!)

Works like a charm on my less-battered books, though. What a relief.

It seems like it will support the Kindle quite nicely, too. (This fabric print seems to be the perfect camouflage for the skin I have on it!)

I don't know if I'll actually use it, but the original design had a bookmark attached from the top. So I went ahead and did the same. To weigh it down some, I added a few beads to the end. (The lower two are recycled from an earring I never wore, and the glass one was a random one from the stash.) The bookmark is a little impractical at the moment, honestly, because it's way too long. So I may shorten it up at some point, either by removing and then re-attaching the beads further up, or just taking the lazy way out and tying a loop in the ribbon at the top.

The timing of this was probably very good, actually. I doubt I'll be able to do much, if any, sewing this week.It seems that everything decided to pile on this one week-- between my two additional jobs that I have to supplement my flute teaching, I have to work the next 6 days, including nearly the entire day on Saturday and a band competition on Friday. Plus a family wedding. Plus all of my usual flute teaching. Plus I'm running out of food in the freezer to eat--the only way I can snag relatively healthy food between lessons, generally--so I'm actually skipping my usual Monday night rock climbing in order to cook a meal and get other necessary things done around here. Like put away the three loads of laundry that I washed today. (Including the one that I just remembered while typing this that I forgot to put in the dryer. Drat.) So yeah--I don't have anything new cut out yet, so unless I can fit a reconstruction in there, sewing's not happening.

Long story short, I may be quiet here for awhile, since any craftiness that's going to happen will most likely be knitting that wrap. Or distracting myself from knitting the wrap via books. Gotta test this pillow out somehow, right?

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! It seems great for reading, I never read on my back since I don't want to hold the book over my head. I might look into this.

    I love the camoflaging effect of the Kindle.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!