Do you ever run into a technique that you just don't seem to get, no matter how you try? I've been sewing for most of my life, and I still have trouble with zippers. By this point, I've gotten regular centered zippers and invisible zippers down pretty well, with special thanks to handbasting. Lapped zippers are a little trickier, since I don't use them very often.
And then there's the fly-front zipper. I don't know what it is about them, but they just are ridiculously hard for me for some reason. It must have something to do with my horrendous lack of direction.
The last time I tackled one of these was about 2 years ago, with the ill-fated jeans. And admittedly, it wasn't the best zipper job ever. (None of my fly-front zippers have been so far.) And it was very, VERY tempting for me to just stick with the side zipper that the original pants pattern had. But I wanted those welt pockets, and wasn't sure if a zipper would interfere with those. Or the fit at the side, for that matter. And since a successful pair of well-fitting jeans is pretty much my search-for-the-Holy-Grail project, I have to learn it sometime, right? The most annoying thing about it is, it seems like I always make the exact same mistakes.
So my process today went something like this:
1. Sew the facing that's supposed to go on the right side on, trim excess fabric out of corner, and press.
2. Realize that I actually sewed this onto the left side, despite having held the leg up to myself to double-check before sewing. (Which is "mistake I always make" #1-- apparently, I still can't tell left from right.)
3. Re-cut and re-interface the piece, repeat with the opposite side.
4. Realize that I don't actually have a zipper that's the right color. Grab the closest one I have anyway so I don't have to run out to Joann's while I could be sewing. (Truth be told, I think this might be the zipper I originally got to go with this fabric anyway--my original plan was the Nichola pants. Guessing the right color just wasn't there.)
6. Be pleasantly surprised at how well the zipper went in, and proceed to sew the left side backing piece in with renewed confidence.
7. Draw in and then stitch the fly front topstitching.
I did rip it out and restitch it with better results. But this is the other reason I wanted to make a full wearable test version of these pants first!
I did another quick project yesterday as well, this one a refashion. On my last Goodwill excursion, I found this top:
I got the urge while I was at work yesterday to have something new to wear for going out to a local festival with some friends last night, so I pulled this one out and got it all fixed up just in time. I didn't really feel like rethreading the machine, and didn't want to mess up the outside with obvious stitching lines so I did it all by hand. I took the sleeves off, cut the panel out, and then hemmed up the lining about 1 1/4":. And ended up with this: