April 18, 2012

Tie me up! Untie me!

Going with the random song inspiration for this post title...one band that my brother really likes that he introduced me to is called mewithoutYou, and while the song isn't a happy one at all (which is why I'm not linking to it), the title certainly fits this dress. I finished it on Saturday, but didn't have a chance to do the final pressing until today. And since I also didn't have a chance to clean anything and I'm feeling a little under the weather, everything will be modeled by Donna for now. Hopefully I can break this one out for MMM, provided we get some nice warm days.

It doesn't really look like much here. Just a basic tank of a dress. Those funny little protrusions around the hips are the side sashes, which are super loooooooong and drag quite a ways on the floor when standing like this.

And this is all of the various ways of wearing it that I've come up with so far. Going from left-to-right, then top-to-bottom, the first 6 pictures are options that were given in the pattern, minus the second one is off-the-shoulder in the pattern and I can't simulate that too well on an armless dummy. The second half of the pictures were me playing around with other options--row 2 to the right is the front and back of a more asymmetric look, while the last 3 of the bottommost row were me experimenting with another wrap look and doing some different things in the back. I guess I'll have to wait and see how these various looks work on me, but I'm curious to hear what your favorites are!

I didn't have a whole lot of work left to do on this, so I also did some minor reconstruction projects while I was watching tv with my boyfriend that day.
I made this shirt back in college, and it's served me well. But the sleeves were a bit too short to be comfortable for me, since I was constantly having to tug it down over my wrists. I've been thinking for at least a year that I should just hem them shorter, so I finally bit the bullet and did it.

I also had this dress, which I purchased from ModCloth nearly 2 1/2 years ago. I wore it to a friend's wedding, and haven't worn it since. It ended up being shorter on me than I'm comfortable wearing on a regular basis, especially to church (which is where most of my dresses tend to come into play.) But I still liked the style and especially the color.

So, though I felt slightly bad because it was also a bit pricier than I usually go for, I re-hemmed it to a shirt length. And I think I'll get much more use out of it this way. The first picture is as is. For the second, I took the part of the skirt that I'd hemmed off and turned it into a sash, so I have that tied around the waist. And for the lower two pictures, I was experimenting with my elastic belts, both of which were (appropriately enough) also purchased at ModCloth. I think I like the self-tie and brown belt looks the most so far.

As for my Palette Challenge, I haven't really started the jeans yet (saving the handwork for my usual Thursday night dinner/tv time with the boyfriend, since he doesn't mind me doing crafty things while we watch shows), but I did get the blouse traced out of the BurdaStyle book last night. And I did get part of the blouse cut out today. It's just stripe-ish enough of a fabric to slow things down. So hopefully I can find some time to finish that off before the weekend starts.

9 comments:

  1. I do like your dress style ideas and I know it took courage, but I can definitely see you wearing this top to come really cool places.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is an amazing dress! I would be hard-pressed to say which look I liked best.

    Good job on reviving those clothes by chopping off some bits! That's a beautiful blue, no need to languish in the closet! I haven't done anything as dramatic lately, but this weekend I did get a lot of mending done and was proud of myself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful projects! I look forward to seeing them again in May during MMM'12. I love the blue top with the brown belt-it's very chic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many ways you found to style your dress - I like it! The dress below is lovely, it must have been hard to cut up, but I think the finished result is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the versatility of the tie me up tie me down dress. Is this a pattern?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the convertible dress! It looks like a lot of fun to wear. I love all of the looks you can make with it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well played! I have the same problem with ModCloth dresses, and that's a great re-do. And love love love the dress!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, that knit dress is super cool (and so versatile)! And it's really smart of you to refashion the dress and top so you'll actually wear them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that is a great infinity dress! I love the colour and looks like you have almost infinite options of wearing it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!