September 7, 2012

To blog or not to blog?

(Getting a little personal with this one.)

That's the thought that's been running through my mind lately. It's not that I've run out of things to talk about, or I've lost interest in sewing or anything. It's just, well... I kind of feel like I've been boring people.

I love the sewing blog community. I've learned so much, and I feel like I "know" a lot of you now, through your amazing things that you create and the pieces of your lives that you let creep into your blog. I know I'll never have the popularity or the insight of blogs like Gertie's, Tasia's, Sarai's or Sunni's--obviously, since those amazing ladies are all creating sewing-based businesses. I also know that I probably won't be inspiring entire sewing movements, like Mena's Sew Weekly or Zoe's Me-Made-Months. Or, more likely than not, even the fun sew-alongs that people like Sarah and Alessa and Ali put together, or the just plain fun of people like Oona. (Maybe if I'm lucky, someday I can develop the great photo-setting skills and ability to create really fun things out of leftovers like Carolyn.) And, for the most part, that's ok.

But then there's this little nagging part of me that sees how few comments I get on posts, compared to people like them, and I wonder if that means that my blog is less interesting or, God forbid, just plain boring. I mean, when your all-time high is less than 20 comments, and that's on things like huge life-changing awesomeness, my blog just can't measure up to the cool kids', right?

I was thinking about this at work today--it was a really slow day, and I didn't have much else to do to keep my brain occupied during the mind-numbing hours of deadheading pansies. And I guess what it comes down to is the question of who, or what, I'm writing this for. Am I doing it for the comments, or am I doing this for me? And the answer was pretty easy. This might not be the most interesting or craft-world-shaping blog out there. The focus might change from time to time--I'm sure that more home dec-type stuff will be sneaking its way into here, now that I've got a place of my (and my fiance's) own to think about. (I'm not moving there until after the wedding, but we'll be doing some painting and such before that.) And I won't be cranking out new projects here for awhile, with the One Dress To Rule Them All more or less ready to go into pre-production stage. And I know things like that probably aren't that exciting for a lot of people. But it's still my own little virtual scrapbook of the things I create, and that's still exciting to me.

Lest this sound like I'm getting down on the blogging community, because I'm really not intending for it to come off that way-- I really am grateful for all of you who take the time to read this, and all of you (who aren't the anonymous spam-bots who like to plague my every post) who take the extra time to comment. I do read and enjoy every single one! And I do hope you stick around.

Ok, that's pretty much all I have to say for now. Though, guess what-- I have projects to show! Yes, that is multiple! I just need pictures first, so stay tuned...

20 comments:

  1. I think you have to decide why you blog. I think of blogging as a crafting/family journal. I love the comments, but mostly I blog for me, it's a record of what I've done, complete with pictures. If you want to be like one of those bloggers (I follow all of them too) it's a full time job! Sorry I don't comment. I read blogs on my iPad and I hate typing on it. But I'll keep,checking in if ou keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always read your posts with enjoyment, but I don't always comment. I'll try to do better :) I think the blog should be for you first and foremost and I hope you like doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky,
    I can totally relate to what you’re saying. I had my blog up for like two years before I could even convince my own sister to follow me (sad but true). I can tell you that I read every post and ooh and ahh over all the pretties. I’m looking forward to the big day dress ups and downs (hopefully not many downs). All that to say, I'm glad you’re sticking around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had many of the same thoughts. I don't have hundereds of followers and not many comments most of the time. I blog when I want/feel/am able and have become content with that. Do what is best for you and don't let it stress you. I don't take time to comment on lots of blogs. I think it's a time factor for me and sometimes, my computer (or the blog itself) is not cooperating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read, but haven't commented here, or elsewhere much lately. I'll make a point to say hello-we all like to know we are being heard.

    I actually feel a closer connection with bloggers who don't have a lot of action/followers/stuff---it just seems more like a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep at it, if you can. I enjoy reading what you have to say, and looking at what you are up to...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't always comment but keep it up! We're still out there reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I understand why you might feel this way. I sometimes wonder why so few comments come through, when others who make something quite basic can receive over 30 comments. I don't have as much time as I used to so don't always comment, but I'm an avid stalker. Don't go unless you are not enjoying it any more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Totally understandable... but just fyi, I've never commented before but love reading your blog (and I'd guess that there's a lot of less-than-successful crafters like me out there who love seeing what others can do but aren't' comfortable adding our own $0.02 most of the time)!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, so for me, I don't read blogs daily anymore. When I do catch up, I don't go back to when I left off, so I may skip days or weeks of blog posts. I try sometimes to catch up on multiple posts I may have missed on a blog, and sometimes I just start where I am. On your blog in particular, I had a hard time once with captchas, and two times in a row, when I tried to comment, I kept getting error messages! Not sure what's up with that, but now I really want to try to comment!

    I think there is an element of community that seems to not be quite as strong in the last year or two. I blog to keep putting things out there that others might find helpful. Kind of in the spirit of giving back, like when I search for very specific info and I go back 10 pages in search results and finally find the answer on some buried blog post -- my blog can be that for someone. So I blog, as infrequently as it is. Sorry to ramble!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read your blog but don't always comment. I'm just bad about that (ask my poor sister). I bet you have way more readers and admirers than you think you do.

    Sometimes I wish more people read my blog, but I blog because I enjoy it, and because it's fun (and sometimes a little embarrassing) to see my voice and my skills develop over the years. It's been a great way to journal my progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Kelly's Korner Understandable about the iPad thing--I often read blogs on my iPhone while I'm waiting for students or something, and typing comments on that is a pain too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Antoinette About the captchas--I found it to be really difficult too, when Blogger switched up the way they do those. I tried going with just the blanket comment acceptance, but then I was getting so many emails about spam comments that I couldn't stick with it. (It's rather disappointing to get an email notification that there's a new comment, only to find that it's an anonymous ad for fake Louis Vuitton bags, or worse!) But the full moderation seems to be working better, so hopefully that's making it easier!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will confess that I'm a bad commentator (is that a word?), even more so on big blogs. Like Mary said above me, with a small blog you get more of a conversation wheras I feel lost in a sea of comments on the big ones. Especially when many of them are "cute work" or "great idea".

    Like you, I don't have many readers or commentators, but I have a few and they leave comments. I would compare it with real life friends, would I rather have 200+ friends where no one really knows me and just say meaningless things or 20 close one who actually take the time to hear what I have to say and give me relevant feedback?

    I enjoy your blog and your post made me realise that I should get better with leaving comments anywhere,but I also know that motivation goes up and down. I hope you find yours again and I do look forward to seeing your dress to rule them all and your other projects.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your blog, and what you make and how you say it. I am one of those people who reads blogs and rarely comments. Please continue to write and I will try to comment!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, I don't have one lick of talent sewing anything, but I'm an artist and I visit your blog because I love your taste. Some of your textures and combinations are very inspiring and you write in an open and fun style.

    Do continue blogging. I may not comment (mostly because I have nothing constructive to say in the realm of sewing) but know that if you write them, I will read them!

    Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm very bad at commenting, but I do read all of your posts! I'm with Mary, I enjoy reading the smaller blogs, not just reading tutorials and outfit posts but also the little day-to-day things. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. The reason I don't comment so much is often because (like now!) I'm playing catch up and reading post ages after they have gone up and other people have already said what I think. Like Antoinette - I agree with pretty much everything she said!

    Also sometimes I'm clicking through a post or two while I cook the dinner or wait for the washing to finish (and yes I get distracted and burn the dinner a lot!) and sometimes I think that all I would say is "great job" or "thats lovely" so I don't comment as I don't think I'd be adding much to the discussion. That's a silly way for me to think because I know the little encouragements can really make people smile sometimes.

    I considered not blogging because sometimes it felt like a chore but I think I blog for me, to record what I've done and share info with others. If it contributes to the sewing community and leads to me making connections online then that is a great bonus.

    Don't stop blogging - I really want to see your wedding dress adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, I'm not going to stop...this whole post was really more of a brain dump than a farewell to blogging, to be honest. But it's still nice to get the affirmation that people care about reading what I write!

      Delete
  19. I always read (although I'm a little behind at the moment), but don't often comment. Partly because if I'm reading blogs during my work lunch break I'm less likely to comment on them and also because with blogs of people I don't know, I tend to be shy and think you wouldn't be interested in anything I have to say! I want to assure you, that I do enjoy your blog, though :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!