I'm starting this on an unrelated note. I guess you can say I've been a little distracted with this whole wedding planning thing...it seems that both my blogoversary (6 years? Whaaaat?) and post #700 have passed me by with no notice. Um, yay me?
Anyway. I (finally!) had some time to sew today--I really wanted to work on this some yesterday, but I was thwarted by a co-worker who didn't bother to show up for her shift, and ended up losing the three hours I otherwise would have had due to a last-minute lesson cancellation. Grr. So I started with some fresh paper and the original Cambie pattern and went back to square one.
This is what I ended up with this time. There was a lot of cutting and taping involved--I added the side dart with the FBA, but it was too low, so I had to raise that higher, too. And that scribbled-out side of the vertical dart was my attempt to avoid what happened with the first bodice from over-wide darts.
And the result?
I've already made a few small tweaks, at least to one side of the pattern for comparison purposes. As you can see, the front sleeve isn't gathered anymore--I swapped it out with the lining piece, because I figured it would be easier to alter a piece that's supposed to be gathered anyway than it would be to figure out the right width on the flat piece. I've come to the conclusion that I don't want the sleeve to hang off the edge of my shoulder, because I just don't think it will look right in the lace. So I've marked the outer edge about 7/8" further in and tapered it down from there. (I'll have to straighten that one line out.) I also took a small wedge out from the inner edge of the sleeve to try and combat the slight gappiness of the neckline, about 1/4" tapered down to the original stitching line.
Aside from that, I'm going to wait to make further adjustments until I have a better idea of what effect the skirt will have on it. I did manage to get the waistband basted onto the muslin today, but I still have to entirely trace out and thread-trace the skirt pieces before I can go any further with this.
Previous wedding dress posts::
Tracing out the pattern
FBA attempt, part 1
FBA attempt, part 2 (with diagonal tuck adjustment)
FBA attempt part 3 (Bodice 2.0)