October 27, 2012

when wardrobe disaster strikes

So, as anyone around the mid-Atlantic/northeastern region of the US knows at this point, a big stormy mess of doom is coming straight for us. (Particularly my area, if the fact that the Weather Channel is hanging out at the beach I visit every summer is any indication. It's rather weird to see a beach and boardwalk I'm actually familiar with on tv!) So, since the big concern is power outages and water, one of the main preparations today was catching up on my laundry. No big deal, right?

Except that somehow, despite the fact that I NEVER keep pens in my pockets, a pen somehow got stuck in with one of my loads and ran through the dryer. (Since I'm living at my parents' until after the wedding, my dad is the most likely culprit--we're guessing it must have somehow gotten left in the washer and then lost amidst my clothes.) The result is that the entire load basically got ruined.

Some of it wasn't so bad--the clothes I wore to paint at my fiance's house last night, for instance. A pair of pajamas that I got for Christmas last year got it pretty bad, but at least I just wear those to sleep in. The bigger problems were that nearly all of the t-shirts, the hoodie sweatshirt, and several pairs of the jeans I wear to work also got it pretty bad. (All thrifted, and most I only wear to work because they just don't fit right, but I did have one pair that fit well enough that I wear them outside of work, too. So now I'm just down to 3 pairs of "real" jeans, and I can only wear the skinny jeans with a limited number of tops. Boo.) My one brown pair of pants that I wear at least once a week, even though they're too short (I've been holding out until I have time to make some), also seem to have gotten a little, though it's not quite as noticeable. And aside from those cute pjs that I've had less than a year, this is what's making me the saddest...
10/23This was one of my outfit pics from this past week--all me-made except the boots. The top was safe because that was from a different load, but my teal microfiber skirt, which has become a staple this fall, did get some ink splatters. Another me-made that I wore yesterday met the same fate. I'm trying soaking those and the work t-shirt that got it the worst in a combination of detergent and oxy-clean to see if it will help. The two me-mades might be salvageable, because the skirt is dark enough that the ink just looks like a smudge instead of an obvious stain, and the top has a kind of splotchy (on purpose) dye job to begin with. The black ink is an obvious difference, but unless I missed a spot, it looks like both splatters are on the back, and so I might be able to hide it by leaving my hair down. Maybe this is wishful thinking on my part, but it's rather upsetting to consider that these two things might be ruined, when they're both still actively involved in my wardrobe!

But this also leaves me with a dilemma--as much as I wanted to avoid buying clothes this fall, I do wonder if I should just replace the brown trousers and the one pair of jeans. I know I could sew them, and I have the fabric to do so, but I just don't have the time until the wedding dress is done. And that does put a dent in my wardrobe.

To leave this on a happier note, because I'm still way more upset about this than I probably have a right to be--after all, they're just clothes and it's not like I don't have more, I just get emotionally attached to the ones I spent time sewing in particular--here's my other fun outfit from last week. Again, both pieces of clothing are me-mades (the green Vogue dress from last fall and the Junior Mints jacket, again. Thankfully, this particular challenging-to-make dress was NOT in this load of laundry!)
10/21

6 comments:

  1. Didn't you just finish an awesome jeans pattern? How about using it for one pair- maybe in brown instead of denim- and thrifting the rest?

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll make the jeans again at some point, but finishing my wedding dress (or actually starting the real thing, since I've just been muslining so far) is a much higher priority right now!

      Delete
  2. Try rubbing alcohol! Seriously. Sometimes it works like magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do...but probably tomorrow. :)

      Delete
  3. Acetone (fingernail polish remover) or denatured alcohol will remove ink.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand your being upset! It's hard watching our efforts get ruined - that's why I never let my boyfriend do the laundry anymore. He ruined a favorite white blouse by throwing it with a red garment and I'm still sad when I think about it. Good luck getting out the ink spots - hair spray has worked for me in the past. Hair spray tends to work better if the fabric in question is made of polyester or a polyester blend - it mainly responds to the alcohol in the spray, so maybe rubbing alcohol would work even better.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!