November 20, 2012

A different test for the One Dress

Lace test- front

Lace test- back

I wanted to work on the dress some tonight, but I didn't want to work in the basement, because I was cold. So I did this instead...
This is the real fabric! I took the swatch for the silk that I got from Fabric.com, and cut one of the lace motifs from the very edge of that fabric. I wanted to make sure that the edges of the flowers would be ok with that treatment, since the lace isn't edged very well. But it looks like it'll be fine.


And since this is the audience that would appreciate this sort of thing--the back. A little messy with the knots, but I'm quite proud of my hand-stitching!

According to the number of songs I got through on iTunes, stitching this one flower took me a little over an hour. Since I was planning on doing this all around the hem of the skirt....yeah, this is going to take awhile. Good thing I'm not doing a train.

Previous dress posts:
Tracing out the pattern
FBA attempt, part 1
FBA attempt, part 2 (with diagonal tuck adjustment)
FBA attempt part 3 (Bodice 2.0)
FBA attempt part 4 (Bodice 3.0)
More fitting 
Fitting with a skirt! 
Bodice speculation
Bodice test 4

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The lace flower and hand stirching are very beautiful, from either side! You will have a lot of work with that, but I find that nothing is more relaxing than doing some hours of hand sewing while listening to some audio books or watching nice movies with "half an eye". Maybe you will enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a pretty big backlog of a few favorite podcasts, so I figure this will be ideal work for catching up on them!

      Delete
  3. It looks beautiful. It will be worth all of the hard work. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one dress that handstitching this type of detail will be invaluable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!