January 21, 2013

sewing lace and sewing dares

IMG_0438For those of you who are following this, here's what I've spent the last four days doing. That is, if you count me being about this far before, and then having to rip off all of the lace and start over. On a side note, while I've been trying to avoid that bubble in the chest area around the princess seam, I'm hoping it'll lay better on me. Admittedly, I do fill out the top better than Donna.

IMG_0439I'm working on the first of the two side front pieces currently, and it's somewhat of a beast. I've been having to do some very careful trimming and overlapping and tugging and lots of little tiny hand stitches to keep fragile edges from unraveling. As you can see at the top, I did have to overlap the sunflowers a bit in that one spot, and I'm having to patch together a leafy bit in the middle there. I'm hoping that since I won't have that extreme curve to deal with in the back, it'll come together a little easier there. But I did have an easier time with it the second time around--the first time, one of those sunflowers landed right at the curviest part of the princess seam, and that was being awful to sew around! (Not to mention visually just BAD.) So obviously, this is what I'll be working on again for the next several days at least--I do want to make sure that I get both side fronts done before I do the back. Also, I need to do some seam work before I can lace-ify the back, since I do have that organza/dupioni seam in the middle to deal with. I recently got a few supplies from A Fashionable Stitch, including some narrow twill tape to help give me a good stable edge there (based on the Bridal Couture book instructions. So I might get a machine sewing break, maybe?

In other news, I'm sure many of you have seen the "Sewing Dares" thread over at Crafting a Rainbow. It looked fun, so I sort of dared Gilian to come up with a sewing dare that didn't actually involve a new sewing project. Because, you know, this dress thing. So she, in turn, dared me to start a Twitter account! (And a secondary post topic dare, which I'll do later after I can collect my thoughts.) So you can now also find me on there as @sew_and_so. So far, the bloggers over there have been super-welcoming. And if you're on Twitter, let me know so I can start following you! I'm still getting the hang of it, so bear with me.

6 comments:

  1. Muireann11:57 AM

    It looks amazing! I'm really enjoying reading about the process, thanks for documenting it for us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna4:59 PM

    Impressive progress! I don't have a Twitter account, but it is tempting sometimes. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't see much of a point since pretty much everyone in my life who uses Twitter links it to Facebook, so I can read it all there. But it is kind of fun to see sewing stuff on there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks! I really wanted to document it for myself, too, since this is one of those once-in-a-lifetime projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hana Betakova11:39 AM

    The sewing dares fun Oona posted about a while back made me think of Twitter for the first time... I don't even use Facebook very much, so I saw no reason for Twitter. Tumblr is completely out of my way, too, and I can't quite wrap my head around the way it works to begin with. It seems way too... chain-letter-ish, to coin a silly term? A pass along without much control over it sort of stuff. Is that impression correct, or am I completely mistaken here?

    Good luck with the dress - it seems to be turning out fine so far; of course, you will probably be the most critical judge of your own work. So I want to let you know, enjoy the ride while it lasts, even if it involves lots of additional work!


    Oh, and then this little thing... I cannot comment on your blog when I'm connecting through Internet Explorer. As I only have Internet Explorer when at school, my comments will probably keep coming in waves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's odd-- I wonder if it's because I changed the comments to Disqus? I'll have to look into it and see if there's anything I can do about it.

    Since it's mostly been sewing talk, I have been enjoying Twitter so far. I don't get Tumblr at all, though. I never even opened an account with them.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!