January 3, 2013

Talk about cutting it close....

skirt cuttingI barely managed to squeeze out the skirt pieces for The One Dress. And in order to do so, I ended up having to flip two of the pieces the other way, after much deliberating and turning pieces of fabric over to determine if there was a nap or not. I can't tell a difference either way, so I figured I'd take my chances and save myself the trouble of ordering 4 more yards of fabric from 2 sites to cut out one measly skirt piece! I suspect that if this was a colored dupioni, I'd be in trouble, so it's a good thing I went white. (And these aren't all the pieces, I had already cut out 3 other skirt pieces when I got to this point.)


As it is, I managed to squeeze it out with approximately one yard of the dupioni and maybe half a yard of the crepe de chine underlining to spare. I'm not sure how the other ended up shorter, because I think I ordered the same amount! I guess I can probably use the leftover crepe de chine for a small lining. I'm not sure about the dupioni yet.

I still have the rest of the organza to cut out before I can actually start construction work, but I have to do the underlining/thread-tracing basting first. That is going to be a serious challenge with these skirt pieces, because while the white waxed tracing paper is marking much better without that extra layer of paper, it's barely visible! And I can't baste through the muslin like I did the paper, so this might take awhile to figure out. I do have a couple of posts in the works in the meantime, though, including a blog award that I was recently given! So I just need to finish writing that one up.


2 comments:

  1. Ohhh, that was a tight squeeze with the fabric! Take your time with it all, pre plan and double plan all stages...

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!