January 23, 2014

Look at this pile, isn't it neat?

Cut-out ThurlowsWouldn't you say my collection's complete... ok, before I get that song more firmly stuck in my head, I should probably clarify that the collection is not complete, because I still have to, you know, actually sew this. (And cut out the interfacing.) But this pile represents 3 pairs of pants, which is what remains of the original 5 pairs I'd planned to make. Now that I have the fitting worked out, I think this will go very quickly. Especially because I can use the same serger thread for both the blue and black denim versions, which means that I can definitely assembly-line make those two pairs! The grey will have to be done separately for it to look right, I think, but you can't win them all.

As far as my stashbusting goes, overestimating once again bit me in the butt. I don't have the full width yardage on any of these, but I still have a solid 1 3/4 yards of both the blue and the black lightweight denim. So I'll have to figure out what to do with those, though I did manage to use one largeish remnant of the black for a secret project. (Which doesn't count towards that 1 3/4 yards, unfortunately.) I do have quite a bit of the grey left as well, but I do already know what I'm going to do with that. And it isn't another Hummingbird skirt.

On the plus side, I did use up the cherry print, and one length of the multiple cuts of this batiked muslin from ages ago. I think there were something like 6 total. So that puts me at 3 out of 4 fabrics to get out of my stash completely before I can buy more-- 4 if I count the zebra print charmeuse that I passed on to my mom for a bag lining. I'd ordered 3 yards, but they only sent me 1, and then ran out, so I can't use it for the winter coat lining that I'd originally planned.

I think I'm going to count it. After all, I can't delay too long in ordering fabric if I'm going to be ready for March of the Shieldmaidens. But I'm still making progress, right?

4 comments:

  1. I like to cut out loads of garments at once too. Fitting and cutting are not the best bits, so I get the pain over with all at once. 2014 I intend to stash bust...but I said that last year too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cutting is probably my least favorite part of sewing-- I think part of me is always worried that I'll wreck the fabric! I've learned that cutting out too much at once can sometimes come back to bite me--I have at least one top that's been cut out for probably 2 years now that I still haven't gotten around to sewing yet--but since these were all the same pattern, I figured it would be ok.

      Delete
  2. Isn't it funny that the arguing-with-yourself works for stash diets, too? ;) Yay for thee pairs of pants! And I spy that at least one of them is getting cherry pockets, right? Fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be even more excited when I get to sewing them! I did get the interfacing cut out last night, and just barely had enough to squeeze them out. Whew. And yes, the charcoal denim pair will be getting cherry pockets! I had the fabric leftover from a wedding gift for a friend from a few years ago, and there wasn't enough to do much with it--I actually had to find a scrap of plain black to line the waistband with, because I barely had enough for the pockets!

      Delete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!