January 9, 2014

More thoughts on stashbusting

I just found out that the Stashbusting Sewalong that Cation Designs and EmSewCrazy hosted last year is still going on! Which is exciting, since I'm doing the Stash Diet anyway. So I'm definitely jumping in on this one, too, in hopes that I can actually participate in more of the challenges this time around.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-8rzeNhXJBwM/Ustgz8OPZ9I/AAAAAAAACwc/GAxniro5P-E/s1600/Stashbusting+Sewalong+Challenge+Button+Small+2014.png.png

This year, they've also added in a "Curating Challenge", so here's my answers for January's questions.

Why do you sew?

I sew because making things is what keeps me sane. No, really. You don't want to be around me when I haven't had time to do any crafty stuff in awhile. I also like having clothes that fit me better/are different than what you find in stores--even when I was a kid, I liked wearing the clothes that my mom, and later me, made, because no one else in my school had the same stuff.

What's on your list?

This will probably get altered depending on how many Saturdays get stolen from me I have to work in the spring/what sewcial challenges come up, but my current mental list for this year, in no particular order, is the following:
  • 4 more Thurlows (first one is in progress currently)
  • A Robson coat (hopefully before spring, I'm thinking for #bluefebruary)
  •  The new winter coat (I'd like to finish this one before October, since that's when I may start needing it. I do need underlining and lining for this.)
  • A Project Runway pattern that I've had bagged with pattern/fabric/notions for about 2 years now that I haven't gotten to yet
  • The Reglisse and Darling Ranges dresses that I didn't get to last summer
  • A black knit maxi-dress
  • Espresso leggings. Especially since I figured out that the brown knit I've had for years that I was planning on testing this pattern out with will work for the costume I have in mind for Shieldmaiden March! 
  • Also, Shieldmaiden March. More on my costume choice and research to come. Hint: it's not a traditional Viking. But you probably figured that out from the leggings (or if you follow me on Twitter).
  • A couple more (less involved) costumes, which need to get done before Labor Day weekend, since there's plans in the works for a girls' weekend at DragonCon! (This will probably involve tweaking things from the thrift store for the most part, and shouldn't be too terribly hard to put together--for instance, one of my must-haves is an Amy Pond costume (from Doctor Who, for the uninitiated) and her clothes are pretty everyday wearable. I just need to decide which episode I'm coordinating with, since I have one friend who already has a particular River Song dress and another friend who wants to do Clara as "Souffle Girl".)
  • A Cooper bag, which I should also try to get done before Labor Day, because I want to use it as a carry-on/day trip bag.
  • I do need to make 1 set of curtains for the kitchen at some point this year, particularly so I can shuffle things around to look better if we do put our townhouse on the market.
  • Other things bouncing around my head: I'd also like to make at least one more pair of jeans, a "real" Cambie dress, an Archer blouse, some pajamas (which I do legitimately need some warm-weather ones), and a Red Velvet dress.
Did I mention I have a problem with the ambition vs. time ratio?

Why are you stash busting?

Because my stash, as previously mentioned, is at ridiculous proportions. I want to downsize to a manageable level, so I can put more thought into my fabric purchases, create more cohesion in my wardrobe, and not feel guilty about buying fabric because I already have so much. I also want to make it easier to pack and move to a new space, since even if we don't manage to move this year, moving a little closer to our families and to a larger space is something that we would prefer to do before any kids come into the picture. (And if we do that, I very well might have to work with a smaller craft space, since bedrooms would be a higher priority.)


This month's theme for the Stashbusting Sewalong is "Itty Bits". The good news is, I already did this without realizing it, thanks to my Kindle case! I can probably also count the pockets for my pants, or is that pushing it?

4 comments:

  1. I like your plans! The stash busting challenge is an excellent one; I'm planning to reduce mine this year too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it helps--I'm at a place in my life where I want to start going for quality of fabric rather than quantity, but I still have so much that I need to use up!

      Delete
  2. Last year I counted my pants pockets as itty bits! :) Love your answers and goals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty sure they did use less than a yard of fabric! :)

      Delete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!