January 30, 2014

of shapes and stitching (in-progress sewing and Wardrobe Architect, Week #3)

I don't really have anything new to show sewing-wise, as I'm currently in the throes of assembly line sewing. (Which is actually working out pretty well, but "throes" is just fun to say.) And since this week's Wardrobe Architect worksheet was pretty short and straightforward, I figured I'd just do a little roundup of in-progress sewing and that.

Denim Thurlow welt pocketsPictures first. I'm currently making the two denim versions of the Thurlows, and therefore am doing a few more jeans-like details. Namely, I topstitched the darts. And I'm also topstitching around the welt pockets, which has the bonus of reinforcing the stitching. (The brown pair is coming undone already, because I've washed and worn it so much!)





Thurlow pocketsAlso, pockets! The cherry print is particularly fun, I think. It's a shame I didn't have enough of that for the waistband facing, too--that will have to be plain black. But I did have just enough to squeeze these and the welt pockets out. As for that purple-y hand-dyed stuff, I had more than enough for the pockets and facings for both this pair and the future grey pair. Plus a ton left over. I may have to resort to using it for things like wearable pajama muslins or something...

As for the Wardrobe Architect project, this week's assignment was thinking about garment shapes. Which was really nothing too ground-breaking for me, but I figured I'd share some results anyway.

I seemed to end up in the middle of a lot of things-- I like most things either somewhat fitted or somewhat loose, but not too tight or especially too loose. Some more garment-specific results:
  •  Skirts: I'm most comfortable in skirts that are either knee- or maxi-length, A-line or with some other kind of flare (but not too full, as that always makes me feel like my hips look huge), and with either a hip-hugger waistline, or occasionally a more natural waistline. I'm still getting used to the latter, which is probably a result of being a teenager in the 90s when everything was cut lower and I just got used to it. I don't like high-waisted things, mainly for the practical reason of they feel restrictive when I'm playing my flute and need to breathe deeply. Also, I don't tuck shirts in too often anyway. I'm also not very comfortable in shorter skirts, though I'm more comfortable when my legs are covered by tights or something.
  • Dresses: I'm most comfortable when things are either somewhat fitted or somewhat loose, though I tend to lean more towards fitted. Too tight and I feel self-conscious, too loose and I feel like I'm wearing a sack. Length and skirt fullness preferences are pretty similar to my skirt answers, though I'm more likely to wear a fuller skirt here since the dress can provide more obvious waist definition than one can often get with separates. I'm also more likely to go for a higher or natural waistline here, or none at all if it's a princess-seam type dress. No dropped waists, since 20s-style silhouettes were not meant for curvier ladies!
  • Pants: My waistline preferences are similar to my skirt preferences. I prefer somewhat fitted to loose (hello, Thurlow marathon!), though I do have the one pair of skinny jeans and was pleasantly surprised by how much I liked the look on me. I'm more comfortable in full-length pants as opposed to shorts, though when I do wear shorts, I prefer them to be around mid-thigh length.
  • On top: somewhat fitted is my main preference, though I'll also go for very fitted or somewhat loose, depending on what I'm wearing on the bottom. Length preference is above the hip to tunic-length, as opposed to cropped. I'm more likely to bend these rules when it comes to layering pieces like cardigans and jackets. 
There were also a few more detail questions about necklines and sleeves.
Favorites: V-necks, cowl necks, or scoop necks; sleeveless, above-elbow length or long sleeves (depending on the season).
Also like:  Boatneck, Square, Sweetheart necklines-- I'll wear these, and have made things that I like that feature these necklines. Three-quarter sleeves and short sleeves fall under this category as well--I have lots of things that are these lengths, and like them, but I think the other three sleeve lengths are perhaps slightly more flattering.
Neutral: Spaghetti strap and halter necklines. This is more under the category of it's not that I don't like them, it's just harder to wear a bra, so I have to take extra considerations (like the bra I built into my Lonsdale dress specifically for this reason.) To be honest, most of my spaghetti strap tops are actually camisoles, and only worn as layering pieces.
Dislike: Off-the-shoulder and strapless. The former is just super-annoying, both due to arm position when playing flute, and the feeling of having to adjust it from falling down all day. I always feel like strapless is going to fall down on me, too, and the only thing I own of that category is the red dress I took with me on the honeymoon. And only because it fit me so perfectly at the time that it couldn't fall down. I certainly wouldn't plan to make something strapless. Unless it was something like a strapless corset top that I was specifically planning to wear over another top. (I wouldn't put that past myself.)

So, like I said, none of this is really any surprise to me. Or probably to you, if you looked through my collection of finished objects that I've shown on here. But it was still a useful exercise.

6 comments:

  1. I love that topstitched welt pocket! And I am so appreciative not only that you used the word throes, but spelled it correctly. :-)

    And thanks for sharing your Wardrobe Architect HW. I have not started that process, but I may do so soon. And in general I always appreciate it when fellow bloggers share their insides, either sewn or thinky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit that I'm a little bit of a grammar/spelling geek. I spent a lot of my free time reading as a kid, and if I hadn't gone for music, I could have quite easily been an English major. I often catch myself correcting things mentally when I'm reading online, so it would have been a shame if I hadn't used the word correctly myself!

      Delete
  2. that's a beautiful welt pocket :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm proud of how these turned out--it's quite the improvement from my first pair of these pants!

      Delete
  3. Good job on the welt pocket! It looks great. I like the cherries too.

    I agree that the week's exercis wasn't very hard (but we've had two quite difficult ones, so we needed a break) and didn't show any groundbreaking results. It will be interesting to put it into practice next week (if I've understood it correctly).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm curious to see how the next one plays out!

      Delete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!