At the request of sewjenny over at Wardrobe Refashion, trying to work this part into a quasi-tutorial.
....and voila! New black shrug. It did end up stretching just a bit on the bottom of the back, despite my precautions, but hopefully over my dresses it won't be too terribly noticable.
Edit: Surprisingly, I made a second shrug today.
Stylewise, it's a lot like the black one, but since this one was made from a woven it took me a little more time to get the front shaping. I had to take in at the sides and the darts (the dress came with the darts. I do have to say, it feels good to know I was taking in something marked as a size 4!!) This is it when I was pinning out the shape for the front, after trying it on with the dress I'm planning on wearing it with (though, by no means does that preclude it from being used elsewhere!) to make sure it worked with the V-neckline.
I also had to finish the edge differently-- the original dress had a neck facing that, when I took out the zipper in the back, didn't quite meet up in the middle. So I took it out, zig-zagged the raw edge and then just stitched it down. Not the best finishing job, but figuring out a pattern for the lining would have severely complicated things, especially since I likely would have had to pick out the hem on the sleeves (which I didn't have to touch at all here) and then re-hem it.
And then this is a close-up of the trim, which was left over from this skirt.