MacCulloch & Wallis. Mmmmm, European fabric. It's soooooo buttery soft that I just want to sit here and pet it. But, of course, then I'd never get the coat done! It really has the texture and weight of a real suede (albeit a really thin one), so I realized almost right away that I am most certainly going to have to line this coat, or I have no hope of getting it on over any other article of clothing with sleeves, ever. So I went to Joann's earlier this week and came home with this fabric on the left-- a lovely brocade with a background that is the perfect match of this odd shade of grey. It's kind of blueish-greyish-greenish...and let me tell you, it was a PAIN to match the thread on this! BurdaStyle actually sent me some but it was way too dark--I'm guessing a victim of computer monitor color discrepancies. So the fact that I was able to find a lining to match so perfectly at my one and only local fabric store is a minor miracle. And the fact that it's also a print makes me rather happy--it'll be a fun surprise when the coat is opened up.
my new fabric manual and some scraps, I decided that it would be best to do some testing before I work on the actual coat pieces-- I do have a decent amount left over after cutting, but I forgot to take into account that I have some trim to cut out of it still. So this was my seam-pressing experiment. The one to the right was the most successful; for this one, I pressed it from the wrong side on the lowest temp with a bit of steam and a pressing cloth. Doing it from the front makes the seam edges show too much. Not to mention iron marks.
Hoping to start some actual sewing tomorrow afternoon!