May 15, 2014

happy accidents

Trying to catch up a little here, and I figured it's better to have phone photos than none at all, right?

Anyway, this month's Stashbusting Sewalong theme is knits, and since I've been pretty short on sewing time lately, I thought it would be good to try and knock something out. I had a striped ivory knit tee on my capsule wardrobe list, and decided that it might be more useful as a layering piece rather than a more traditional tee. So here's what I ended up with!
Untitled

I still based this on the Plantain pattern, as originally planned, with a few modifications. I got the fabric from Kerilee in last year's Sewing Surprises swap, and there wasn't a whole lot of either piece. So I used Heather's yoke modification again, so I could work in the polka dot mesh and use that to stretch the stripes. (I'm print-mixing! It's a start.) Short sleeves, obviously, which are bound at the edges with the striped fabric.









Untitled



The polka dots look cooler from the back, obviously. I like that it lets some color from whatever tank top I'm wearing show through, and I think it will be a very versatile summer layer as a result.















Untitled


Ugggh, I look so tired in this picture! Anyway, the collar/front was sort of a happy accident. My pattern drafting skills aren't the hottest, and when I was cutting this out, I had the presence of mind to slope the neckline downward to the center front, but I forgot about silly little things like adding seam allowances! So when I tried this on partway through, the front looked pretty wonky because it was so skinny. I had a fairly largeish, mostly rectangular scrap left. So I cut it in half lengthwise, seamed it in the middle, and basically made it a big wide binding strip. The inner edge is just a fold, so it looks pretty nice and clean. I'm actually really happy with the finished look of it, so one of these days, I might actually draft this as a pattern piece to use for a future pattern hack!

So now I just have one other fairly quick project and a refashion to post, and I'm all caught up. Unless I actually have time to sew something else. We shall see, since I haven't been able to sew a single stitch this week.

7 comments:

  1. This looks so cool and ready for summer. Love those polka dots.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I've been trying to get braver about mixing prints, and I'm really happy about how this turned out.

      Delete
  2. I think these are beautiful colors on you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job matching the stripes on your "accident". I really like this top and think the collar really adds something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree--the collar pretty much makes it. Plus it was a lot easier than trying to finish the neckline with a mesh fabric!

      Delete
  4. Oh I love it! Great fabric/pattern mixing.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!