July 18, 2014

A cautionary tale

See my jeans.




See how close I was to finishing? Topstitching, belt loops, cool fabric for the lining, buttonhole, the works.

I say "was", because as it turns out, following the Craftsy class instructions to stabilize the top edge of that waistband with twill tape means I can barely pull these previously well-fitting jeans over my backside. And the front won't quite overlap as well as it was supposed to. Which means that I now have to undo my entire afternoon's work. Which was actually an afternoon off from my retail job, so it's way more work than I would have gotten done otherwise. I'm so upset!

 I checked, and I do have enough of the denim to cut a new waistband and lining. So I guess that's better than unpicking every single stitch of this. Though I am quite sad that I'm going to lose that waistband lining--that and the pockets was all I had left over from using this fun print to cover a scrapbook awhile back. 

I'm not sure if that means it's always going to be gapping in the back, since now I'll have to use two pieces of stretch fabric vs. one piece of stretch plus one slightly bias non-stretch. I'm afraid to try the twill tape again. But I still feel like I'm going to have to stabilize the back somehow so it's not always riding down on me.

So how would you keep a curved waistband from gapping out in this sort of situation? Have you ever had a completely demoralizing sewing disaster close to the end of a project?

I guess the moral of the story is that girls with curvy butts should take fitting advice from teachers who state they have a flat butt with a very large shaker of salt. If you need me, I guess I have a hot date with my seam ripper.




8 comments:

  1. Aw :( That stinks. perhaps we should trade? My recent thurlows were 2-3 inches too big in the waistband after all my hard work. ;-) I feel your pain. I have sent them to the corner for a timeout - permanently! I wish you luck with the seam ripping

    ReplyDelete
  2. that stinks. I usually do waistbands in two pieces to try to get them to fit in the back - but even then there is always gappage.

    side note - the details on the belt loops are adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I found a fix for it-- I'm clipping the twill tape! I managed to get halfway through after ripping out the bottom topstitching and basting, and it is already much easier to get on. The biggest hold up is actually ripping off the stitching on the belt loops-- I guess I did a good job stitching them down!

      And thanks! The regular topstitching wasn't quite enough to catch the open side down when I tri-folded it, so I decided to have some fun with decorative stitching.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes, I find that the seam allowance just needs to be trimmed down more and other times the fly is a little short (usually just the bar tack holding it at the bottom of the zipper) - making the curved waistband a little hard to get over my hips.

    One fix that I like to use when altering rtw jeans that gap slightly is elastic in the back waistband. Just slice a hole in the inside waistband at each side seam, thread a strip of elastic through, and zig stitch through all the layers to catch the elastic ends and close the holes you cut.

    Hope you can fix time with just a little clipping here and there!

    ~ Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The twill tape clipping seems to be helping. Thanks for the tips--you're so great about sharing them on Instagram, too!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the timely post! I was wondering how the class was... your jeans are looking fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good class. I asked about my waistband issue on the class question page, and it turns out that the twill tape is only supposed to go in the back, not the front. Which I didn't get from the video, since my attention was divided between that and writing down a sewing order so I had that for future reference.

      Delete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!