June 14, 2009

paring down

Another picture-less post... as of Friday, my computer is completely dead. Friday is also when my new hard drive came in, so now it just needs to wait until my brother can swap them out. (Hopefully this afternoon.) I'm on the family computer in the kitchen right now.

I made a top almost in its entirety yesterday-- I probably would have finished it, except I got a later start than I'd anticipated. My original plan was to give my car a long-overdue washing and waxing--I think the last time I'd washed it was 2007! Working at a garden center, it'll get dirty again really fast, so I figured there was no point... until my brother reminded me that I was overdue for waxing it. Turns out he was right... my car had a couple of small chips in the paint that had gotten rusted, and I had to spend some extra time with rust-remover gel trying to get it off, with mixed success. And then, just as I was 3/4 0f the way done getting the wax off, it started to thunder, and so I couldn't plug my machine in until 5 or so. I wasn't a total slacker with the time, though-- did some reading, and sorted through several old bins of fabric and scraps. I'm in a mood to just downsize my stuff lately, and recently a request came over the local Freecycle for some fabric and sewing patterns from a new sewer. I got in touch with her, and she's not in a rush (3 young kids), so that gave me time to really look around. So between that and pulling out some clothes from my refashion stash that I'll probably never get to, I managed to empty one huge bin and one smaller bin! (I also went through my book stash, and am getting rid of something like 85 books...now I just need to go through my closet and drawers, and take a trip to Goodwill. Also considering going through my beads and scrapbook paper and then making an offer on Freecycle or something.)

So, anyway, I don't think I'll finish the top today because I hardly ever have time to sew on Sundays, between church activities and flute orchestra. Maybe on Tuesday or something. Also plotting a new side project... I'll need something hand-workish to do at the beach the weekend after next, and I'm thinking about bringing an Alabama Stitch-inspired project to work on in lieu of scrapbooking stuff this time-- I haven't printed any photos since October, and while I'm in the process of uploading them to a website for that, I obviously haven't been able to work on that with the computer issues. And so, with losing this coming weekend for craft purposes (helping a friend move), I don't think I'll have the time to get those printed out/choose the papers/do the prepwork/get everything ready to go in time for the trip to just assemble pages. Might be a lot faster to just cut out some knit, grab some beads and go! I'm thinking of a skirt similar to this one.

3 comments:

  1. Paring down is great! How neat of you to share some of your sewing stash with a new sewist -- I bet she will use her sewing skills a bunch with 3 kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband always does my car for me, LOL!
    You sound busy, as usual. I hope the hard drive is working well.
    That sure was nice of you to give away fabric! I agree, sometimes giving things away just makes you life so much easier. I brought 5 bags of various things to the thrift store today. 5 bags in...and I only came home with 2 little vases and a magazine. I think I've gotten rid of several hundred things over the past few months...and my danged attic still looks like holy heck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky!!
    thanks for stopping by at my blog.
    Well, i am really new to The Fray, i think the second one is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!