October 10, 2010

Thank you, Mood!

As those of you who are on BurdaStyle know, they sent out a code early last week for a discount on fabrics (except for the stuff like the silk jersey, boo!) But I still got three pieces and wanted to show them off. I got two yards of each, so I think that should be enough to do pretty much whatever I want.

Yeah, so you know that thing I was saying about needling to start sewing more solids than prints? Well, they had cotton jersey prints that really caught my attention. Obviously, that is my weakness...
With the stripes, I'm going to have to be really careful what I make out of this. (Donna's modeling it on somewhat of a bias, which is how I think I'm going to have to end up laying this out.) But I loved the colors, and it's so soft. So maybe a nice basic top.

I am trying to branch out on my usual color scheme-- you know, the one where nearly everything I make tends to be some shade of blue, green, black or brown. This one still has brown in it, but warmer colors than what I usually tend to go for, so it should work nicely! I'm thinking maybe a wrap top for this one...though I'll have to be rather careful how I lay this one out too, now that I'm thinking about it!

The only thing I don't like about these knits, really, is that they're both a much lighter weight than I thought, and therefore somewhat see-through. So I'm going to have to either come up with something that's automatically layered, or make sure I sew styles that call for a camisole underneath.

Now, this last one really is branching out for me...
Yeah. Cherry/tomato/fire engine red. (And here I thought the rusty brick color in the Ayden shirt was stretching it for me!) This is an organic cotton twill, and I'm thinking a basic pencil skirt for this one...I have a couple of thrifted shirts with mostly black backgrounds that I was thinking would look really good with red. (And this would also probably look nice with the previous knit--see, I'm thinking outfits now!) And no way am I wearing red next to my face, because it would look simply awful on me. Especially with my freshly-henna'd hair. Plus I really enjoyed reading Sunni's pencil skirt sew-a-long posts, and it's inspired me to give it a whirl.

I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly they arrived--just two days after I ordered it! And, being used to Joann's fabrics, it was nice to find some stuff in natural fibers! So we'll see how they wash and sew up, but I would definitely be inclined to shop there again. (When stuff is on sale, anyway!)

Of course, first on the menu is my Burda jacket! (Which I have no pictures of yet, other than this one from the magazine.) I worked on sewing the muslin together today, and am so glad I'm doing a test version! I already had to take it in a bit all around, and figured that I'm also going to have to add some length to it because I like the place that the unhemmed jacket is hitting. On the plus side, I already raised the neckline a bit when I traced the pattern out, and I think that's going to end up looking really good. On the down side, I'm having a lot of trouble with the sleeves--they're not going in smoothly no matter how I pin them in. (Truth be told, I'm not entirely sure I didn't put them in backwards, but I've tried it both ways and it's not working either way.) The other problem I'm having is that once I put the sleeves in, it felt too small across the back. So I think I'm going to have to add to the back some-- I haven't tried letting the top of the center back seam out yet, but I think I may need to do that and/or add some fabric to the armhole edges. But I'm not sure how that's going to work with also needing to take some ease out of the sleeves... any suggestions? I'm beginning to think I definitely need to add a book on fitting to my sewing library!

4 comments:

  1. Pretty fabrics! I ordered from Mood too (some wools and a ponte knit) but they always take forever to get to me for some reason. I love the fabric with the circles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd heard that their shipping was slow from other bloggers too, so I was quite surprised at how quickly it came! I know I'm not that far from NYC in terms of shipping (I've done several 1-day trips to there, though it's a long day), so maybe that has something to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your green fabric would look great in a wrap dress or top if you have enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost purchased from them last week! Then I looked around at all the fabric in my sewing room and realized that would be a bad idea. Anyway, I like everything you picked out! Glad it got to you so quickly. Kind of like instant gratification!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!