February 10, 2011

We'll make our own constellations...

As of last night, I finished my third knitting project! At least, my third successful one. And haven't thrown in the towel on yarncraft yet--this is definitely a record for me!

This time, it's the Constellation Gloves, which was a free project on the Lion Brand website. I liked that they were long, which means no chance of my wrists getting exposed to the cold, and it looked like the perfect project for my chunky-weight yarn that I snagged as soon as I decided to give knitting another go. A good choice for my hands, since they're nice and thick and warm-- I'm looking forward to wearing these to Bible study tonight, since the basement we meet in was really cold last time! (Also, I know this is a bit of a silly picture, but taking pictures of both of your own arms is hard!)

And here's what the whole thing looks like. I had to learn how to do a lot of new things for this one--first time doing ribbing, first time knitting in the round (on both circular and double-pointed needles), I had to bind off and add on stitches up at the top to make the thumb holes, I had to learn to increase....definitely a good skill-building project! I ended up making several changes to the pattern, which surprised me since I'm new at this. Nothing seriously major--things like, since they were ending up too big, I had to go down a needle size from what I'd come up with in the gauge test. The pattern called for making them about 10" long before starting the increases for the hand, but I ended up opting for about 8" instead. (After measuring my arm after I started, I realized that 10" would result in these shoving up against the bend of my elbow, and would probably be rather uncomfortable. Not to mention annoying to deal with for sleeves.) I also ended up making the top shorter than it called for. It wanted a total of 3" above the thumb hole--about 2" for knitting and then the 1" ribbing. I realized that doing so would take this about to my knuckles, which would make them rather non-functional for actually using my hands while wearing them--and isn't that the point of fingerless glove-type things? So I only did about 1/2" of the knitting post-thumb hole and then the inch of ribbing.

I do wish they were a little more snug around my wrists, but my wrists are also super-skinny  And since the ribbing at the bottom and the hand section fit just about perfectly, I really can't complain.

So now there's just one thing left to do....figure out what I'm going to do with these two orange-sized balls of yarn I have left over, since leaving several inches out of the pattern means that I didn't use nearly as much as I thought I would! I thought about knitting the second from the partially used ball, even started to do so, but was really afraid that I wouldn't have enough to finish it. So I ripped it out and used the second skein instead. I know I don't want a scarf, because I have a lot of those. A hat, maybe? Though I was already planning to make/got yarn for a different hat... I liked this beret that I saw listed under the easy patterns on Ravlery, and generally prefer that style of hat because it's looser around my hair. So I end up with less tangling. (I have the sort of hair that tangles if you do so much as look at it funny.) But I guess I can have more than one hat, right?

(p.s. To give credit where it's due, the title lyrics came from "Constellations" by Jack Johnson. A fitting choice, I thought, considering the name of the pattern.)

5 comments:

  1. Awesome! Those turned out great. Have you found Ravelry yet? It could turn you into a yarn craft addict.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! great job! You obviously learn fast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! I actually think you'll soon beat me with number of finished yarn projects. :-) Even though I have more years of experience, I actually haven't knitted so many things so far...

    Those balls of yarn, hm. I guess it all depends on what you need. Socks? But would you have enough?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anoriell2:05 PM

    Beautiful! You work fast! And results are so great! Keep at it! KEEP AT IT! Soon I'll be most envious. ;o)

    Hope they've been keeping you warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anoriell2:28 PM

    Beautiful! You work so fast! Keep it up. KEEP IT UP! I'm having envy issues! You're a natural!

    Sure hope they're keeping you warm because they do look mighty comfy!

    Very nice project.

    Looking forward to more, as always.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!