So here's where things stand so far-- all of this was done last Tuesday since I had unexpected time off work, though I haven't touched it since. (I just haven't had time to post, which is probably just as well given all the problems that Blogger had last week. Haven't had time to sew, either.)
I'm using elements of three different patterns to try and get this to work--the laced-up pants that was a purchased pattern, the waistband and fly front from the shorts, and the welt pockets from the second pair of pants (in the magazine.) All three of these are Burda, so I figured they'd be fairly easy to mix and match. For the sake of clarity, let's say the laced pants pattern is A, the welt pocket pants are B, and the shorts are C.
This was me making the actual waistline....
Like I said, I haven't had time to touch anything sewing-related since Tuesday, though. Things have been super-busy over the last several days, and so the only time I had to actually sit down and sew would have been Saturday night after work. But by the time I got done with that, I was lacking the brainpower to tackle something as complex as merging three patterns. So what I have been doing is a little bit of knitting, and a little bit of sweater unraveling. (I caved and got a small tabletop swift from an Etsy shop, and a ball winder from Amazon--the ball winder isn't in yet, but the swift did arrive, and it's making unraveling those thrift-store sweaters so much easier already!) So there probably will be a knitting update post before too long....but not now, since I have to run off to the next job.