May 26, 2011

Challenges

So it's almost time for Me-Made-June. And I've decided that, after the minor debacle that was Me-Made-March, that it would be best for me not to sign up. I've got a lot of complicating factors this time--namely job stuff that I don't want to get into here, and several days that I'll be traveling. I don't really want to deal with the hassles of trying to, say, take pictures of me in self-stitched outfits while running through an airport. But best wishes to those of you in blogland who are participating, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the outfits that come up in my reading list!

I am, however, going to be participating in the Summer Essentials Sew-Along! This sort of challenge looks like it's right up my alley--no specific patterns, no specific deadlines, no having to take unsatisfactory pictures of myself every day! Here's the guidelines, copy-and-pasted from The Wardrobe, Reimagined.

ABOUT THE SEW-ALONG


In an effort to be as laid back as summer heat inspires, the Summer Essentials Sew-Along asks participants to sew five(-ish) warm-weather friendly pieces by August(-ish), ‘cause wouldn’t you rather spend August looking fabulous in your homemade threads? The goal: Stock your closet with quality summer basics. The benefit: A group of sewers who will encourage and inspire you, not to mention talk you off the ledge when you need it!

To me, there are six categories of summer wear. Feel free to add to this, but this is just to start us thinking of what you need/want.

Poolside Pretties: Anything that cools or dries you off when there’s lots of sun and water around. One and two-piece swimsuits, swimsuit cover-ups, surf shorts, sun hats, oh my! One versatile swimsuit cover-up I find lovely is a terry cloth dress. Double-duty, that’s what I’m talking about.

Clam Diggers & Co.: Bifurcated bottoms of every style and length, from flowing linen pants to short-shorts and all the inbetweens—clam diggers, pedal pushers, Bermuda shorts, etc.

Sweet & Sassy Skirts: Prints and solids, short and long, low-slung and high-waisted. But most of all: Airy, flirty, flattering.

The Sundress: Need I say more? To me, the perfect sun dress strikes that cord between casual and elegant—arms and collarbones, looking good barefoot or high-heeled. It’s something you can wear to both a barbecue and a summer wedding.

Tees, Tunics & Blouses: Yes, please! I’m finally understanding the worth of blouses as they also strike that balance between casual/formal, totally versatile. I’m also thinking mini-dresses that do triple duty as tunics, dresses and cover-ups.

Those Summer Nights: Pullovers, cardis and hoodies may be the last thing you’re thinking of with the mercury rising, but there’s those cool summer nights, not to mention every last establishment with the air con blasting. Or: for those of you where thunderstorms are a daily summer experience, a lightweight trench?



I've got an idea of what I want to do. Obviously, the Anthropologie pants are going to be one piece, and by extention, the test shorts. (Which, by the way-- I took Gail's suggestion and did a little more tweaking, and the wrinkles are much better now! No pics, though.) I've talked a little about the next two before, but I definitely would like to do the embroidered ruffle skirt and the sheer Frankenpattern blouse, since they've been in my mental queue for quite some time! I also have a piece of drapey olive green jersey for which I've had an idea simmering in the back of my mind for a year or so, so hopefully I'll get to that as well. I'm also going to count the Odyssey tank, since it is clothes-making for summer!
 
I definitely have some ideas for other things I'd like to get to if I have the time--the Crescent skirt, for one. I would also like to sew or refashion some knit tops, since I've been feeling a need for some stuff that can flip between work and weekend wear for me. And I have the yarn for another sleeveless top to knit. But I'll see how it goes.
 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun lineup! Looking forward to seeing the FO's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I could be joining in this challenge too, but winter intervenes for us southern hemisphere dwellers...! Look forward to seeing your creations!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!