November 16, 2011

It's finally here!

Look what I got in the mail today!

I've been seeing a lot about this book lately in the blogosphere (particularly this week's theme at The Sew Weekly), and have been anxiously awaiting my own copy. So I was really excited to see the big box with my name on it! I haven't had a chance to read through the entire thing yet, but I really do like the look of the three patterns I hadn't seen yet! (I only saw the bag and coat, since those were the ones they chose for my sketch submissions.) And you can bet I'll be reading this one cover to cover.

The other thing I was really excited to get back in the mail was my jacket! If you have the book, you can see it on the bottom right-hand corner of page 168. But I thought it would be fun to show some of the details that didn't make it into the book. (I hope that's ok, BurdaStyle! I know I'm about a year behind on actually posting my projects to your site, but I promise I'll start catching up on that soon!)





I really like the way the sleeve pleats turned out. I added a couple extra to distribute the fullness, because the suedecloth was NOT a gather-friendly fabric. It's a little hard to see in both here and the book, but there's actually a self-fabric trim over the princess seam-- two parallel bias-type strips.  And of course, fabric-covered buttons!

(Please ignore the freaky orange alien hand.) The buttons are basically just a detail to cover the snap closure-- just like with my floral fantasy jacket, this fabric wasn't really conducive to buttonholes either.

I kind of really love the lining fabric. The fabric is right on the cusp of both blue and grey, and somehow, the background of this brocade goes with it perfectly. (And the blue swirls are just fun....you know how I feel about solid pieces and print linings!)


Overall, and particularly due to the color, this jacket feels kind of like a modern Alice in Wonderland to me-- as in Alice in the more recent Johnny Depp adaptation, when she's back in the "real world" and her somewhat Victorian style.  Like this coat. I'm excited that I'll finally have a chance to wear this jacket... and if I end up having to make the skirt or dress pattern from this book to go with it, since this is also a bit out of my usual color scheme, well, so be it. Oh, darn.

Thanks again for allowing me to be a part of this, BurdaStyle--it was truly an honor!

6 comments:

  1. Congratulations and I'm waiting to buy my copy!!!! Was waiting for the Colette one too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've just ordered the Burda Style and the Colette books - 18 working days for sewing nirvana.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jacket looks awesome! I can't wait to have some time to really sit down and start working on some bigger sewing projects like that.

    I've seen that book recently and it has really tempted me! It's going on my wishlist :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's a fantastic jacket! I can't believe I only just found your blog, I have a cup of coffee and am off to scamper through all your old posts:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely jacket, and that lining fabric is devine! I really liked Alice's style in that movie, too (and for about two weeks, I really *really* wanted to take sword fighting classes... ;). I'm going to ask Santa for a copy of that book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your jacket looks great. I'll be ordering up my copy today (along with the Colette sewing handbook) so in 2-5 working days they'll be shipped. I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!