November 11, 2011

"Moving Target" shirt, and Cadence update

#1: I finished this shirt last night. I went ahead and used Butterick 5084 (the same one I used for this shirt), and I think it went better this time. Probably helped that I didn't have the embroidered insert that added basically 3 extra layers of fabric at the under-bust seam, between the fold and the interfacing. I still had to take it in at the sides some, and lengthen the sleeves a bit, but otherwise, I'm really happy with the fit. I changed up the neckline a bit by replacing the facing with a strip of fabric, sewn on the seamline, folded under, and stitched double. I also stay-taped it so it wouldn't sag and gap with repeated wearings, and so far, so good. It came together really quickly-- I cut it out on Monday, and sewed it together in two sittings. Would have been faster without the stay-taping, but I think it'll be worth it.

This color scheme is pretty different for me-- I hardly wear red, and I don't think I even owned anything in mustard until now. But what's the point of sewing if you can't have fun getting out of your self-imposed boxes? Also, I tried really hard to avoid awkward print placement on the top, and I think I did a pretty good job! The fabric is a cotton jersey (rather thin, as you can see from the tank top lines) from Mood. Which I think I bought 2 years ago. So, since it took me this long to get to it, another FESA project down! Thank you, Mood!
I'm also rather excited about this. See that? That's the lace chart on my Cadence sweater, which is now DONE. Third time's the charm. And that lime green bit of string at the bottom? I wove that in, in case I mess up the rows leading up to splitting the sleeves off. I shouldn't, because it's basically all knit all the time for 20 rows. But I'm not taking any chances! (I'll take it out when the sweater's done.)

Also, I think that taking the neckline down a needle size worked well. The overall knit looks much better than my first attempt, and the neckline doesn't look like anything from an 80s dance movie anymore. Yay!




7 comments:

  1. Very pretty top! I actually think these are good colors for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did a fantastic job with the pattern placement, and the top looks great! I think red and mustard look fab on you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! I knew you could do it! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Joy that you should wear more red. The top looks great, very retro 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you were able to stick with the knitting. It is looking good! The one bonus of knitting over sewing is that when its not working out, you can rip back and start again. Its not so easy to undo sewing mistakes!

    Your sweater is going to look great when its done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the successful lace part! The color is so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hooray! You're over the hump! And restarting gave you a chance to get that neckline just the way you want (silver lining!). And the top is great -- love the print.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!