May 6, 2009

More jeans experiments and a fail day

Spent the night watching Lost and covering the legs of my imperfect-but-basically-best-fitting jeans with masking tape, in order to give myself some idea of what needs to be done to make this pattern work.
This isn't a perfect estimate. I wasn't exactly sure where to place the tape on the back leg (in the middle), and I have no idea if either one is on-grain. (I did have a bit more of a reference on the front leg-- tried to line it up with the fly-front topstitching. And this was just done seam-to-seam-- no seam allowances on the masking tape part. It looks like the yoke starts higher up on my thrifted jeans than the pattern, too. (Which is kind of scary, considering that these jeans are my absolute limit of low-rise!) And the jeans have a touch of stretch, while this denim (and, I'm pretty sure, the denim I'm using for the real version), do not. And therefore, I'll have to leave myself a bit of extra wiggle room. Still...it looks like it needs to come in quite a bit to get a good flare shape, particularly on the inner legs. So I'll have to play around with that a bit and see what I can come up with. I'm thinking I may re-cut the yoke in the back too, if I can figure out how much wider to make it. Good thing I have some leftover denim from this!

Not attempting anything like that tonight though, because this has been a day of domestic fail for me.

Example 1: I'm pretty much out of food stored in the family freezer for me to grab out and reheat on busy teaching nights. So I had the idea that, since my workday gets started later today, I'd do one of those cook all day in the crockpot meals. Found a recipe in my slow cooker cookbook for beef and lentils, which looked a lot healthier than most in there (lots of reliance on condensed cream-of-whatever soup and powdered onion soup mix and fake Velveeta cheese and the like). Plus it had the added bonus of being relatively cheap. So I bought the stuff we didn't have on hand last night, prepped it this morning, everything came together quickly and yummy-smelling. Turned the crockpot on low, left it while I went to teach band and my flute lessons for the afternoon, and then scooped out a plateful for dinner. It tasted pretty good, though I was surprised that it was only room temperature when I'd had the heat on all day. Turns out, I didn't. I forgot to plug the stupid thing in. And left a crockpot full of ground beef (which had been cooked in a skillet, but still!) out on the counter for about eight hours. >_< So I ended up having to toss out what was left, because I wasn't sure it was safe to eat. (Though I'm kind of regretting that now, since it's been several hours since dinner and I feel fine, and I ate the whole plateful.)

Example 2: I was looking up some bands on eMusic.com to see if they were available for me to check out, and marking off on a list whether they were. Had to run out in the middle for an errand, and when I came back, I discovered I left the pen cap off. And that there are now several rather visible ink blotches on my denim blanket, which I keep on the foot of the bed for stuff like when I'm eating meals in front of the compy. On the bright side, I'm glad it was the blanket, because otherwise it would have been on the quilt that my mom made that's underneath! And the blotches are on end pieces, so worst case scenario, I can replace 2 squares. But still.

3 comments:

  1. OK, now that I have seen the masking tape on RTW, I don't get it. Can you tell me more about what this method is and how it will help? :) I'd love to learn another technique that might help my pants quest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your jeans. The last pair were very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, now I get it. :) Thanks for the explanation.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!