May 13, 2009

Summer Wardrobe, part 2 (and an update on part 1)


Well, here it is-- the first completed project in my "Hippie Beach Party" mini-wardrobe! I finished this up on Sunday with a trim off the bottom and a machine-done blind hem, but didn't have a chance to take a picture until today due to work busyness.

As a recap: I made this using my tried-and-true Simplicity 7229, though I lengthened the skirt several inches to make it ankle-length instead of that weird mid-calf. I used this bamboo from Fabric.com, which isn't really as dark as that looks-- it's kind of between that and the rusty brown it looks like in this picture. (When all is said and done, I'm going to have to take some pics of the full wardrobe in natural light for sure!) The results surprised me a little-- both times when I made this skirt before, it was in a much stiffer fabric (a linen and an embroidered twill). The bamboo is much drapier, and as a result, it's much clingier around my hips and thighs. Gives it kind of a mermaid silhouette when I'm wearing it. So not quite hippie, but I guess that fits the beach party part, at least, right?

The jeans update: I'm starting from scratch, kind of. I took a different pair of jeans last night that I realized would work better (not quite as tight and no stretch, and a higher rise) and did the masking tape thing again to make a new pattern. Right now, I have it laid directly on some muslin, which is not cut yet, but am thinking I will lay it on some paper first instead so I can figure out the grainlines and such. But not right now... Lost season finale time, and I can't sew and watch that!

2 comments:

  1. You've got a good start on your wardrobe. I haven't sewn with bamboo. It looks like it has good drape. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky,

    For mentioning Fabric.com on your blog, I have a special gift for you and your readers.

    At your convenience, please call me at 1-888-455-2940 ext. 214 or you can email me at tracy@fabric.com.

    Hope to hear from you soon.

    Tracy Jackson
    Affiliate Manager

    P.S. Would you like to earn up to 10% commission? Don't leave money on the table. Call or email me to discuss.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!