May 20, 2010

Bonjour, mademoiselle Jane!

...and that pretty much exhausts all of the French I know. Unless I want to count to three, or start singing "Frere Jacques", or start quoting Monty Python and the Holy Grail.  ("Fetchez la vache!!") Hey, don't look at me like that, the only language options I had in high school were Spanish and German, and I went with the latter. But anyway, it seemed like a fitting way to show my next finished project, which I finished yesterday (except for pressing).

So I've had this fabric in my stash for quite some time. It seriously might have been something like five or six years. I'm not really sure why I bought it, to be honest. I've never really been a Francophile--my European interests lean way more strongly towards the UK/Ireland/Italy. Also, pink is my least favorite color, and I generally go out of my way to avoid wearing it. As you can see, it figures quite prominently in this print. I'm also not entirely certain why I kept it after I freecycled a good chunk of my stash last year, to a woman who wanted to get started with sewing. I was probably thinking that giving her a slippery, silky fabric that frayed easily would be a great way to get her to give up in frustration. But it was time to get it out of my stash, and I needed summer pajamas, so here we go...

Pattern: the Jane Pajamas from BurdaStyle

Pattern Description: from the website: "A delicate and delightful set- neglige and shorts!"

Pattern Sizing: 32-44. I went with a 38.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? The top does. The shorts are close, but I made mine longer.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I have to admit that I didn't really look at the directions for the shorts-- I've made PJ shorts/pants often enough that I know the drill. The only thing about the top that I wasn't entirely clear about was how to attach the straps in the back, but I winged it and it was fine.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It came together pretty quickly. And I'm actually pleasantly surprised at just how well the top fits! (I haven't actually tried the shorts on yet, so I hope they're ok!)

Fabric Used: See above. Aside from that, polyester silky print.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I added about 3 inches to the length of the shorts--they were practically underwear length! The only change I made with the top was to eliminate the bow. This fabric made it frou-frou enough without adding that. (There you go, more French!)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Provided that it fits ok, I definitely will. Especially the top. Though maybe out of a fabric that has a bit of stretch instead of a straight-up woven...

And now, back to work on my top-secret BurdaStyle related project. Curious? All will be revealed in due time...

4 comments:

  1. what a cutie! i really love the shape of this pjyama. maybe i try to sew something like this someday. btw, the fabric is awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they look cute! The top reminds me of the shape of an old set of pajamas I used to love that my grandmother gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh,La,Lah...really cute. I love the fabric and the look.

    Christiana

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Fetchez la vache!" *giggles*
    It looks good. Very good.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!