May 19, 2010

Why, hello, my neglected blog!

Been a little lax on the posting lately, but rather than do one super-long post, I'm going to just do a couple of short ones.

First on the menu: My (now actually completed) basic black skirt! I finished this one officially about 2 weeks ago, I think.

Pattern: Skirt #104 B from the 2/10 issue of Burda

Pattern Description: An A-line skirt with waistband and side pockets.

Pattern Sizing: 34-44. I think I ended up starting with a 40?

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, minus the buckle things on the pockets.And the waistband is a little different.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Typical Burda--I couldn't make sense of their pockets at all, so I ended up using a different sewing book as reference. (And then went on my own to do a couple things, ended up doing things in the wrong order, and having to improvise from there!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? It's a really good basic skirt pattern that would have a lot of versatility. I just wish the pockets would lay flatter. (Though they don't look too bad from the side...)

Fabric Used: A linen-blend or linen-look.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: What I ended up doing with the waistband was I sewed in the invisible zipper before I sewed that on, and I was supposed to make the invisible zipper part of that center waistband seam. So I had to improvise a lapped waistband with hooks instead-- I just didn't want to undo the invisible zipper, because it was one of my better zipper jobs! I think it would have looked better in the end with the zipper done the way they said to, but oh well. That's what I get for not paying attention to the directions. I also added a bit of length. And I altered the waist/hips area in accordance with my skirt sloper pattern from the skirt-fitting class I took last fall, though I ended up having to take it in even more. (I'd better check that sloper...)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I think I would sew it again. A-line skirts are my favorite, and I like the idea of having a go-to pattern with pockets!

Conclusion: Aside from the pocket instructions, I think this was a good pattern to work with.

Back with more later-- I have to take my serger to the repair shop, and I have limited time before I have more work!

2 comments:

  1. I think a good black skirt and black trousers are essential wardrobe builders. You've done a great job. Don't stay away so long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A perfect wardrobe staple (although I personally wouldn't have gone for black - but that's just my preference).
    Isn't it almost always that when working with Burda patterns you need to look elsewhere for references or instructions? I'm almost expecting it by this point.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!