March 16, 2011

Making plans, and a sneak preview

It's finally supposed to start getting decently warm around here-- 60s tomorrow, and I hear it's even supposed to get up to 70 on Friday! I'm so excited! And also so ready to start thinking about some warm-weather clothes! I'm currently making a dress for my mom to wear to a cousin's upcoming wedding, and I still need to make myself a wrap to wear on top of my own dress. 
So here's a preview, somewhat, of Mom's dress. I took this picture on my phone, so the colors aren't entirely accurate--the flowers are straight-up silver, and here they look rather tarnished! And it's really more of a navy than this twilight blue. But this is a look at the skirt, in all its unpressed glory.  So far, I've gotten that sewn together, some sheer overlay bits of the bodice, and the actual bodice and lining. I was planning on finishing the bodice up to the zipper tonight, but hit a bit of a snag-- brocade is apparently one of the worst fabrics ever to try and make spaghetti straps out of, and I completely messed up both pieces trying to get it to work. So I need to cut some new, wider straps. Thus the reason I sewed the skirt instead. I'm trying to get this done as quickly as possible, as my seasonal retail job is starting up again on Friday and I'll have less time.
I had a little time to kill between at-home lessons this afternoon, and couldn't resist pulling a few things out of my stash that I've been thinking about. All of these, save one, have been in my stash for years, and I've finally got the inspiration I need. So, in no particular order, here's what I want to get started on as soon as I can...
I picked up this paisley cotton several years ago, with the thought of making one of those dirndl-looking dresses with the kind of Asian name (for the life of me, I can't remember now what those were called!) that were so popular. I never got around to making it, which was probably a good thing. As soon as I saw this really interesting-looking Project Runway pattern, I knew it would be a perfect match. The top is almost corset-looking due to the pleats, and it looks like it'll be fairly quick to sew. Plus I already have matching fabric that can be turned into the piping trim! I may be considering this for an Easter dress this year, since I actually do have a cardigan that I could wear over top. If I have time to do so.
This one is a new acquisition to my stash, although I got it for free! I'm being highly unoriginal here and making the cap sleeve view--you know, the one that looks like it's made from the exact same fabric in the sketch. But I'm strongly considering adding some black piping to this one as well to make it look a little sharper. And I'm also planning on fully underlining it, except for perhaps the sleeves. It is a bit see-through.


 Another one that's been in my stash for years. At least since college. I don't have a pattern to show for this one, because I've got a design in mind based on a blouse I saw last spring or summer. So I'm going to Frankenstein a couple of patterns I've already played with before for this one. It's very sheer, but also very neutral, so I think it'll be a good layering piece.


And then there's this one, which I've shown before. I've literally had this one in my queue for at least a year and a half now, but it kept getting pushed aside for other, more needed projects. Well, I'm determined to have this skirt in my closet by the end of spring, because I still really like the mental picture of this fabric and pattern combination. Plus I've also been meaning to do a test of the skirt sloper pattern I made in one of those Pattern Review classes a few years ago, and this skirt is just straight enough that I think, between this and my new fitting books, it might be the perfect test.

After I get through these 4 things, it's time to tackle those Anthropologie pants. The fabric is in, but no pictures because it's in my laundry, waiting to be washed. And I have a plan of attack in mind. So I'm trying not to load up my sewing queue for this season too much--other than making piping, I don't think any of these patterns will be overly taxing, and I'd still like to get some refashioning in there, since being a contributor at the Refashion Co-Op has been a lot of fun so far and I'd like to continue to do so.

1 comment:

  1. I had to giggle at your Frankenstein comment. That's what I call my pattern hybrids too! :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!