I've just been posting up a storm lately, haven't I? Don't worry, it'll slow down very soon, as this is my last day "off" (other than my flute teaching and band work) before I go back to job #3 at the garden center. Thankfully, I had some warning as to when I'd be starting back up. So my main goal this week was to finish all of the machine work on my mom's dress so I could do the handwork on Saturday. (Being the not-so-closet geek that I am, Saturday's plans consist mainly of playing a game over the internet with a few friends. But it's the sort of game where there's more talking via a headset than actually typing on the keyboard or clicking with a mouse, so it's been a good way for me to also get several concentrated hours of off-machine craftiness in so far.) As of about 15 minutes ago, the machine work is done!
Speaking of the serger, guess what? It's not broken again--I took it to the shop on Friday and the mechanisms are just fine. The problem was that the thread had gone bad! Which, I guess, shouldn't be a surprise, because there's a strong possibility that most of the serger thread I've been using is older than I am. (It was mostly stuff I got for free from a doll/craft supply shop that my grandparents used to run.) So I tossed a bunch of the stuff that I knew was older, and am going to have to start replacing it as I can. And because I did the brocade bits before this, the serged edges are not the cleanest at all. But the sheer, which was done with the new thread, is much, much better. I'm quite happy that I didn't have to get it repaired again so quickly!
Shakespeare on the Green top, along with some Celtic-knot embellished jewelry), and I've been having fun with listening to some of my favorite Irish bands today (namely The Frames and Flogging Molly so far, but there's still a good chance I'll fit in some U2 and/or The Cranberries). Hey, I really am part Irish, so of course I want to have some fun with this! But anyway....on a whim, I decided to make some scones, since I had a little time to kill. They're total cheater scones because they're made with Bisquick that was already in the pantry, and I even cheated on the cheater recipe. (No heavy cream, so I used the nonfat milk that I had instead, and I didn't have chocolate chips, so I chopped up a dark chocolate-raspberry organic chocolate bar. There. Now they're healthier.) On an even bigger whim, I added some green food dye to make them festive. For total cheater baked goods, I thought they turned out pretty good! Once they fully baked, at least... I may have made them a little too thick to cook through properly until I cut them up and stuck them back in the oven.