August 9, 2011

Why did I wait? (Summer Essential #3)

Seriously-- I've been meaning to make this skirt for, oh, three years now. It kept getting put on the back burner in favor of things that seemed more crucial at the time. And then this took me all of one day, which was last Wednesday, to sew together in its entirety. Including taking the time to finish the seams on my serger and make it look all nice inside. (Just delayed on the posting due to a family beach trip.) Which leaves me wondering why on earth I waited so long...  So at least I got 3 of my 5 planned Summer Essential Sew-Along projects done. Though, with the colors of this one, I think this is actually going to be a skirt I can wear year-round. I just might need to come up with some more tops to go with it, since I don't have a lot in that red-orange family.

Hey, guess what? I'm going to do an actual pattern review! As always, any extra commentary from the official PR one in italics.

Pattern: #117 from the 3/07 Burda magazine


Pattern Rating: Highly recommend

Pattern Description: Mock wrap skirt with flounce.

Pattern Sizing:
Uhh.... I'll get back to you on this, since I'm in a bit of a rush and don't want to take the time to look it up atm.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes

Were the instructions easy to follow? As easy as Burda gets... Seriously, though, this was really easy to put together.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the style, and the fit is great. The only thing I found confusing was their instructions for getting the mock wrap part onto the basic skirt. (So I ignored their instructions and winged it.)

Fabric Used: It's an embroidered linen-look twill-- I think it's at least part polyester, but it's been in my stash for awhile so I'm not sure what the actual content is at this point. (I think this one may have been one of my college-days acquisitions-- I know it's been sitting for at least 5 years!)

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: None-- this one fit perfectly right off the pattern! (As a lower-rise skirt, which I prefer anyway. I basted it together first to check--no muslin necessary! And no gapiosis!)

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I don't know if I'd sew it with the flounce again, but I think I'll be going back to this pattern as a sloper. Even my self-drafted one (from the PR class I took awhile back) didn't fit this well!

Conclusion: Love, love, love it.


(Now I just need to figure out what to do with the slightly-less-than-a-yard I have left over...maybe a bag? It's something like a 33"x45" piece.)

3 comments:

  1. That is lovely! It is a really flattering shape.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice skirt. You could mix your leftover fabric with a solid colour for a casual tunic. I've had a lot of success with Simplicity 2696. I'm not suggesting that you wear the two together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great skirt! I have that pattern traced off too, from ages ago. What am I waiting for?

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!