July 25, 2008

Friday Favorites, Episode 18

It's baaaaaaaaack!

Starting with an FF first for me--one I actually tried already! Eileen at Consumption Rebellion posted this recipe for 5-minute Chocolate Cake that you make in the microwave. Yes, that's right, the microwave. And it actually works! Both my mom and I tried it, with a few modifications. I added a dash of vanilla extract to mine, and when I tried it the second time last night, I substituted 2 tablespoons of the oil with applesauce, both to make it a bit more moist and to cut the fat content a bit. My mom used soy milk, and swapped out the sugar for stevia, and did all applesauce instead of oil, as per her dietary restrictions. And it worked out well for both of us. Though I'm not sure how this is supposed to fit in a mug-- we used bowls, and it took the whole thing!

Sew, Mama, Sew! posted a tutorial for Perfectly Portable Cushions. Which I will undoubtedly be using if I get sucked into doing anything this year that involves sitting on hard bleachers for insane amounts of time. (I'd make such a horrid sports fan.)

My favorite at Wardrobe Refashion this week-- remember those Project Runway Simplicity patterns that no one in the sewing blog world actually seemed to like? (Admit it, the first ones were pretty awful.) Well, someone at WR managed to take one of those and make a really cute dress with that and an old R.E.M. concert tee.

At Crafty Daisies, there's instructions on how to make and use a floor loom. Looks like a great way to use up all those scraps of fabric that continually drive me nuts... now I just need a floor to put rugs on!

ThreadBanger had a fun post on how to make those pendant lampshades. And finally, Crafting a Green World started their "Carnival of Green Crafts" today with a plethora of links. I haven't had a chance to look through them yet, but I'm rather excited about the eco-friendly scrapbooking one, since that's a point I've been pondering for some time!

Ok, off to teach, and then to Joann's to get supplies for the projects mentioned in the last post, and then hopefully some sewing!

Edit: I did get some decent sewing in--basically sewed together the entire outside of the dress, minus the back seam. Tomorrow's task (hopefully, as I will also be on a mission to find hiking boots that won't kill my feet, which requires driving about an hour away to the closest REI), if all goes according to plan, will be to put in the zipper and then get the tops of the lining and dress connected together. If I can manage that, then it's just hand-sewing with lots and lots of breaks to accomodate my wrists.

3 comments:

  1. nice to see Friday favorites back in action!!

    Things have been so busy lately,...I'm happy to finally leave a comment on your page. :)

    hope all is well and your hands are all better!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The five minutes cake sounds great! Especially the fact you can substitute the oil with apple sauce... do you think apples grated softly would work, too? I'll have to try it... we have quite a lot of apples now, you know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yay yay! so good to see this again. And YUM on your variation of the cake! I am going to have to try this.

    Sorry I know its been awhile since I visited.

    Hope you are better.:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!