I'd been pulling a lot of late nights this past week, so I'd fully intended to go to bed shortly after seeing if
Sanctuary was going to be any good, so I could try and catch up on a little lost sleep. (Yes, I am a geek, and proud of it!) But as I was removing my stack of recon-potentials from my bed, inspiration struck at around 11:30! So I was up past midnight (again) cutting, pinning and seam-ripping to turn these...


(one hoodie with a lame logo, passed down from my mom, plus one too-short tank top)
...into this.

I also shortened the sleeves to 3/4, because they were a bit too short on my long arms, and adding enough fabric to make them a good length after removing the cuffs would have been so wide that it would have looked really dumb. And I need a few 3/4 casual shirts for weekends, as well as long-sleeved.
I also took this skirt that my mom made for me several years ago, I think during one of my busier college periods when I couldn't sew as much...
...which was a little longer than mid-calf (which is a really bad length on me), and shortened it to this.
Now it hits just above my knee. Much better, don't you think? And I'm also proud of myself, because I taught myself to use the blind hem stitch/foot on my machine, using an old sewing book for reference. It worked pretty well, once I figured out which way I was supposed to fold everything. I don't think I'll use it on everything, because some fabrics just demand the slightly more invisible hand stitching, but for casual skirts, this is going to be a huge time-saver!
I really like the hoodie, in particular the 3/4 length sleeves. I'm going to have to keep that in mind.
ReplyDeleteGreat job on both these refashions!! I really love everything about your cute little hoodie and I agree about the skirt length, much better now!
ReplyDeleteLove both outfits! Nice job with the blind hem foot - I need to learn how to use that foot too... :)
ReplyDeleteGreat job! I love the way you covered up the boring logo on the hoodie!
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for stopping by...I am in awe of your sewabilities...I soooo can't sew...not even a straight line...on that 3rd card it is a stamp btw...thanks!
ReplyDelete