February 26, 2010

Free as a bird...

I've been watching a lot of Avatar: The Last Airbender lately--the upcoming movie looks pretty cool so I'm acquainting myself with the anime series. And, believe it or not, it's been inspiring me to make things. The series is based around "benders", or those who can manipulate the four elements (earth, fire, water and air). So just for fun (and to use up some bead stash), I'm attempting to make a jewelry set based on each element. So here's what I came up with for air.

My original idea was to stick with beads that had a translucent quality, since you can't see air. And when I found the bird pendant in my stash, it all really came together. I like the chains with it, too, because that makes it really lightweight and there's a lot of space in there, so that sticks with the idea.

Everything in this necklace was either found in the stash or recycled from old jewelry-- two of the 3 chains are from pendant necklaces that I had in high school (the pendants were no longer in good shape), and the rings that connect the bird to the necklace (except for the thick twisty jump ring) was also from one of those pendant necklaces. I was especially proud of myself for finding those twisty silver beads that link the chain pieces together, because they're kind of reminiscent of the giant ice bubble that the main character was found in.


And here's a closeup of the beads and chain...

...and another of the earring. (The bar is actually one of those necklace separator things.)


I finished this up last night...I knew I wouldn't be able to whip up a sewing project, but today's my birthday and I wanted something new to wear! Also, I love this sort of geeky crafting... most people wouldn't associate something like this with an anime show, and I can just laugh at my own private joke.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday!
    I love the jewelry set. Especially since there is a real concept behind it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy B-day!!
    I really like your new jewelry.. looks like something I would wear!
    Nice job expressing your inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, happy birthday, then! I somehow missed it... I somehow missed it when I gave you a blog award:
    http://marmota-b.blog.cz/1002/honest-scrap
    - while giving it also to someone else as sort of a birthday gift. Two birthday gifts in one post, then! Funny ones, I know, but at least it's something. :-)
    It mostly goes to tell you that even though I don't comment, I do read your blog when I get to it. I mostly don't comment because you write so eloquently that I usually don't know what I could add!

    I'm intrigued by the personal style determination thing you've been doing, by the way.

    And it's a pretty set of jewellery. I cannot say what Angelia said, because I tend not to wear my jewellery, but I think it's the kind of jewellery I would MAKE, including the hidden personal joke part.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, Becky! Sorry I didn't see this post till today, but I hope you celebrated the whole weekend long!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool jewel. Great ideas you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all of the birthday wishes! And yes, I did have a fun weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!