March 10, 2010

....and there was much rejoicing!

That's right... I sewed clothes again, for the first time in about half a year! And it looks good, if I do say so myself! (Which is a relief, after the total fail that was the last dress I made.)

So here's my pattern review...
Pattern: Simplicity 5595

Pattern Description: An empire-waist top with V-neck, tieback, and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing: Mine was 12-20. (Made size 12.)

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, though I didn't add the trim. (I made view C.)

Were the instructions easy to follow? I thought they were pretty straightfoward.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the fit a great deal--the empire waistline is at the perfect place for me with no adjustments. And I love the sleeve variations. I don't really care for their trim options, but that's easy enough to leave off.

Fabric Used: A crinkly embroidered lightweight polyester

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I slightly modified how I did the neckline facing-- I didn't want to just fold it back and have the raw edges there, so I ended up hiding the seam allowances under the binding and hand-stitching it down in the very front.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is actually the second time I've sewn it-- I made view F several years ago.

Conclusion: I don't think this will be the last time I make this pattern--the bodice silhouette is basic enough that I think there's room to customize further, and the tiebacks make it quick to throw together with minimal fitting issues.

Other Comments: I really like the effect of using the crinkled fabric with this one--the one I made back in grad school was also a crinkly fabric, but that one was more of an all-over random crinkle, and this one was more or less a vertical crinkle. So it makes the gathering at the bodice blend into the waist seam very nicely without it being too obvious, and gives a nice puffy sleeve effect without being too little girl-ish. And look how great the crinkling looks in the back!

I was quite happy that I was able to get this one together so quickly--even with finishing the seams on the serger, I got the whole thing cut out and entirely sewn together (minus the sleeves) in about 4 hours. The sleeves took about an extra hour the next day. I was also quite happy to get this fabric out of my stash--Mom gave it to me for Christmas about 2 or 3 years ago, and it's just been sitting there mocking me ever since! Plus I'm thinking teal is my go-to color for this year-- I keep finding myself drawn to it.
Not the best of lighting (thus the reason Donna--my dummy--is the main model instead of me), but I think this shows that it fits me pretty well, too. The neckline does gap a liiiiiitle tiny bit, but given the crinkly-ness of the fabric, I think it's actually pretty minimal. I'll probably end up wearing a cami under it, since the neckline is right on that borderline of being too low-cut for me to be comfortable without one. That, and the embroidery did leave some big needle-holes that might benefit from having something underneath other than my skin. Now the weather just needs to get warm enough for me to wear it--I've managed to venture into the 3/4-sleeved portion of my closet as long as I have things to layer over top, but short sleeves are pushing it for me right now, seeing as how we've barely cracked 60 (if we have at all!)

So I think this was a good welcome-back project for me, and now I'm excited to sew more things for my spring/summer wardrobe! Though I'm completely torn as to which thing to attempt next...do I try to apply what I learned in the skirt class to make the February Burda skirt--a needed basic? Or go for last June's funky Burda t-shirt? (I'm leaning towards the T-shirt, since if I get on that in the next couple of days and get stuck, I can still ask for help on the knit class boards!)

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi - saw you on thegleamofrosetea and saw that you have an interest in photography. thought you might enjoy the mini-series i just finished up on a bunch of how to use a camera info. you can check it out at blueflashphotography.blogspot.com

    all the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great. The fabric seems perfect for this kind of top.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job on this top! I really like your fabric choice for it.. looks really good in the back with all the crinkles!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!