That's what this weekend is feeling like, anyway. Due to a fluke in my scheduling (I only have one student each on both Mondays and Fridays, and both of those girls canceled this past week and for this coming Monday as well) and a lack of social plans, I'm having basically 3 days completely off. (Being yesterday, today and Monday. Between church and flute orchestra practice, Sundays don't feel like a free day at all!) I'm trying to take advantage of it as much as possible, because between going back to work at the garden center next week, upcoming music things with Saturday rehearsals, and other miscellaneous stuff, my free time is going to be seriously cut back again.
Since my plan of making a wearable muslin meant I had to wait for the knit to go through the washer and dryer with the rest of the laundry, I also had time to more-or-less successfully alter a skirt! I made this one (original pic) back in 2006, from a wrap skirt pattern I drafted myself. It wasn't completely awful...I was successful in getting a skirt that didn't gape open horribly when I walked, and used the too-good-to-pass-up Indian border print to full advantage. My fitting up top was pretty bad, though. I'll admit it. You can't see it too closely in this before pic, but the fabric bunched up really badly above the wrap ties. Kind of the effect of one of those paper-bag skirts, but a lot worse-looking. (Not that I think that style would look very good on me anyway.) Plus I kind of overestimated the width of the inside front panel, and part of the skirt also had to pull through the buttonhole for the wrap tie to make it fit.
Today, I was originally going to cut out and sew together the for-real version of the Burda top. But I reluctantly came to the conclusion that my sewing area needed some serious tidying up intead. You know, seeing as how I can't get to anything, all my bobbins are tangled together, and every time I reach for a spool of thread I start an avalanche of patterns and Burda mags. So I'm doing a good bit of reorganization today. So far, I've managed to move the contents of my scrap bin to a less-readily-accessible bin (to free it up for things I'll need to get to sooner), and I sorted through the other bins there so I could put the fabrics and patterns that I have definite plans for in the next couple of months together in an easy-to-get-to place. I'm also probably going to put the ones that I'm very strongly considering for fall/winter clothes this year in a slightly less but still easy to get to place. And I've got all of the orphaned pattern pieces in an envelope to sort into their proper places later, which is better than having them randomly shoved onto shelves in crumpled wads. And I also managed to clear out a bin to put the pattern envelopes in....just need to figure out what to do with the Burda mags and the couple of sewing books I have. I'm also getting rid of a significant chunk of my to-be-refashioned pile--either clothes that were mine or my mom's or things I got thrifting with no specific plan for that have been sitting here for awhile. (Well, ok, not everything I don't have specific plans for....but I really do need to use or lose a good bit of this before I can thrift more!) The big mess is going to come once I go back downstairs, because that's when I have to deal with the piles on the floor and the sewing table and the ginormous mess that is my box of bobbins/trims/miscellaneous doohickeys.
I probably also need to deal with my room some too. I'm just getting tired of being surrounded by piles and clutter, especially in my room since it's never gotten entirely put away since I moved into it. But I also hate cleaning--I'd much rather be making some kind of creative mess than cleaning it up! Oh well....I'll just keep telling myself that this will be worth it once I have all of this mess straightened up and then I can spend my time sewing instead of hunting for bobbins or shuffling piles around! Maybe I can sew on Monday...