March 4, 2010

Dear Express Blouse...(a breakup story)

We've been together for awhile, you and I. From the moment I first laid eyes on you on the clearance rack at Rugged Wearhouse (or was it one of the beach outlets? The details are a little fuzzy in my mind), I knew I had to have you. There's so many design details about you that I loved--that I still love, really. Like your double princess seams in the front.
And the little bit of lacing you have in the back, the wide fold-back cuffs, and your lovely sage-ish coloring. You make my hair look redder, and such flattery always works on me. Which you probably knew.

But, as much as it pains me to admit it, I'm beginning to think that perhaps we're just not right for each other. After all, I was always a bit too tall for you--I've never been able to wear you without another shirt underneath of you. I knew that when I bought you, but I was able to ignore that because of all of those things I loved about you--you weren't perfect, but you were good enough. As our relationship has gone on, though, I'm finding those flaws harder to ignore. Like the fact that your last button stops just above my navel. Or that your hem barely clears the waistband of my pants at the side. And especially your sleeves...I know that my arms are a bit longer than the average girl of my height, but your deal of being too short for a long-sleeved blouse and too long for a 3/4 sleeved blouse is really beginning to drive me nuts. I don't know what season to wear you for anymore because of that.

So, I think today is going to be the last day I'll be wearing you. I can honestly say that it's not you, it's me. It's going to be hard for me to let go of you completely, since I really do like your style...I hope you'll forgive me for wanting to make a pattern from you before you go, so I can make a (longer) version of you that's better for me. Please don't feel like I'll be abandoning you when I take you to Goodwill...it's for your own good, really. I'm hoping that you'll be able to find someone better for you, too. Somebody shorter, perhaps.

Love,
Me

p.s. I really will miss your color. I don't know if I'll be able to replicate that.

(In other news... I'm hoping that, given that I have almost all of tomorrow and Saturday free--just one lesson tomorrow, and going to the movies on Saturday night--maybe, just maybe, I can get those window curtains all sewn together. And then I can make clothes again!! I still need to make some pillows and closet curtains, but those can wait. It's been way too long since I've sewn anything I can wear, and I'm starting to get antsy. Also, I've decided to be intelligent about a couple of those upcoming projects and make muslins first. Like for the two things I'll be making from the plaids I bought recently. I've also decided that, since I haven't found any fabric yet that I really love for it, I should probably make the effort to test this pattern before I expend too much energy on hunting some down. I hate to admit it, but given that this is more of a mod-era 60s remake and I certainly don't have the figure of Twiggy, there is potential for it to not look very good on me at all. But I'm definitely going to make something else first-- I don't want my first post-clothing hiatus project to be a muslin!!!)

(Also, expect some changes around here soon... I'm thinking the blog is due for another makeover too.)

2 comments:

  1. oh, you love that blouse so much.. you shouldn't donate it... cut it up and make the perfect pattern... it would be so easy... and then you could have the pretty blouse in all the colors you want.. at the length you need.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, but I feel so guilty about the thought of cutting apart a perfectly good, undamaged shirt to make a pattern when I've been able to do the masking-tape thing to make patterns from clothes without chopping them before!

    ReplyDelete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!