June 22, 2010
Me vs. the flowery explosion, part 3: I win!
And no, Shelly, I hadn't specified which pattern I used yet, but here's a review for you!
Pattern: Simplicity 3750
Pattern Rating: Recommend, with modifications
Pattern Description: A tie-back tunic top with sleeve variations.
Pattern Sizing: 8-16. I cut a 14.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Pretty much, yes. I started out intending to make view C (with the cap sleeves), but it ended up looking too Regency-era so I took them off to end up with view E (the sleeveless one) instead.
Were the instructions easy to follow? The instructions were fine-- I just made things way more complicated for myself by adding a lining.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the look of the finished product, though there are things I'd change if I make it again (mainly making it cut a little higher.) I also like that it has the wide tieback sash, because I like my empire-waist tops with an option to make my waist look more fitted whenever possible. I didn't really care for the instructions to finish the armholes and back neck with bias binding, or that the elastic in the neckline is just a fold-over casing--I think that could have the potential to flip to the wrong side. But for the most part I didn't follow that part.
Fabric Used: A silky print polyester, with a satiny polyester for the sash and lining (I used the wrong side of the fabric for the sash--as you can see here in the lining, it would have been WAY too shiny in contrast otherwise!).
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: As stated before, I ended up fully lining this top. With the light background of the print, it was just a little too see-through to go without. I also ended up adding about 3/4" in the bustline (and adjusting the lower front, back and front strap accordingly) so it would fit my chest better, and then taking out an additional 1/2" from the seam allowance just below the armholes on each side because it was gapping.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I might sew it again-- I really like the look of the sleeves on view B. But if I do, I'm going to raise the neckline more, and use a little less elastic so it doesn't gap at the neckline. If I'd strictly followed the directions and not had to figure out the lining, I think it would have been a pretty easy top to sew, so in that I would recommend it. But I would also caution to beware of the fabric you use if you go for a print, because it's really easy to make it look too 18th-19th century with a smaller floral!
Conclusion: It's a cute summer top--just maybe not quite as easy as the pattern thought if you want to make it look nice and finished.
I'm glad to have gotten this one knocked out of the queue...now if I could just figure out what to do with the leftovers! Angelia suggested maybe a quilted bag, so I'll consider that. I've been really bad about my fabric estimations this summer, it seems-- I've ended up with significant leftovers for every single project I've made lately!
I don't have much in the way of work today--Tuesdays is my day off from the garden center this summer so I can do a lot of teaching, but every student I would normally have this morning and afternoon is away at a camp that my church throws every summer! So I just have a few later this afternoon and that's it. I'm hoping to get some more work done on tweaking my jeans muslin (which I have to out-stubborn even more than this shirt, because it just refuses to fit me properly), and then I have a dress that I cut out over the weekend that I'm really excited to make. I'd much rather work on that than the muslin, actually, but I feel like I need to work on it while I can still get the instructor's help! It looks like the dress is going to be a more or less straight from the pattern project, so theoretically, this should come together fast. "Theoretically" being the key word here...