January 7, 2014

First finished project of 2014

One of the gifts that my husband spoiled me with for Christmas was a new Kindle Fire! I'd already had an original black-and-white Kindle, and plan to keep using it for things like taking to the beach, since the non-LCD screen will be better for reading in bright daylight. But I'm having a lot of fun with my new toy so far, and needed to come up with something to protect it, quickly!

Kindle case- standingThis was pretty simple to put together. I used this tutorial, and it worked like a charm. I already had all of the materials on hand--the cardboard was from an old, unused binder, the elastic was just lying around, and the fabric is leftover from the apron I made for a friend last year. I could have done a more involved case with padding and zippers and whatnot, but what really drew me to this one is that I can stand it up. Since some of the books I have on there are cookbooks that I downloaded for free from Amazon (I have a habit of hoarding whatever looks interesting on the top 100 free books of the day), I like the idea of being able to stand this on the counter while I cook (and make it less likely that I'll splatter food on it.) I've also since learned that this works pretty well for reading while knitting, which is what I tend to do when Doug is watching hockey or something.





Kindle case- openFor Stash Diet purposes, I can't really count this. All of the fabric was in my scrap bin, I didn't use either scrap up, and even though I am insane enough to measure out yardage, I'm not insane enough to measure my scraps! But this was a great little scrap project, and came together really quickly. I cut the cardboard out one night, cut the fabric another, and sewed this up super-quick on Friday afternoon. Altogether, it maybe took an hour and a half from start to finish. (Today is just the first day I've had decent light while I've been home to take pictures.)











Kindle case- closedAnd look! I basically matched the pattern without even trying! I love when that happens.

It was nice to start the year with a quick project. I have my next two projects cut out, and have already started on one--I'm making my next pair of Thurlows, and cut out a little something else to use up the leftover fabric. So hopefully they won't take too terribly long, now that I have the fitting for both things down.

So what are you working on for your first project of the new year?

10 comments:

  1. Wow! Excellent pattern matching and centering! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The centering was intentional--the pattern matching was a pleasant surprise! :)

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I was also thinking that anything I make from scraps can't count towards my diet points ... that would totally be cheating! But, I'm putting the final touches on a dress that will most certainly get me closer to my magic 5 number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, I didn't count up the scraps. ;) But I'm still using stuff up, which is good. And I did actually manage to use up 2 pieces of fabric, thanks to my current sewing projects, so that helps!

      Delete
  3. Cool, that's exactly what I need to make so that I can knit and read at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about that--I had to set it to full comment moderation awhile back, because I get so many spam comments when I don't. So if your comment doesn't come up right away, that's why.

      You should make one--it was really easy and quick, and a great way to use up some scraps!

      Delete
  4. Cool! I love it! How neat that we both got Kindle fires for Christmas! Two good husbands!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sounds like we both found good ones. :)

      Delete
  5. Well, now that you're in the Stashbusting Sewalong as well, this definitely counts!
    It looks neat and useful, too.

    I'm working on a blouse I started and never finished cutting last year. I'm much closer to finish now, although it will still inevitably take longer than I expect...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's working out well so far--I was using it as a recipe guide when trying out a recipe from Pinterest yesterday, and it stayed up pretty well for the most part! Except when I was trying to swipe one-handed while stirring, lol.

      It's good to start the year by clearing something out of the UFO pile. Good luck with that. I'm glad you're doing the Stashbusting Sewalong, too--it was fun to see someone I "know" on the Facebook page!

      Delete

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!