March 23, 2007

progress update

Still no pics of the overalls. But I haven't been completely unproductive this week. I'm also making a baby fleece hoodie, and all I have left to do on that is sew on the hood and sew in the zipper-- I cut it out and got the main body sewed together on Monday night, and last night I got the pockets sewn on and the hem done. I've also been painstakingly ripping the trim off of a previously reconned t-shirt so I can recon it again. I liked the concept of it, but since the edges of the resulting tank were all covered in grosgrain ribbon, it proved to be a little stiff and sometimes uncomfortable to wear at the top. Plus I'd prefer to restyle it so that it's a little longer. So once I get all the trim off, I'll have to see if I can scrounge up some knit to work with at the thrift store so I can restyle it.


I'm also trying to figure out where to start with my next recon project.
This is a shirtdress I made several years ago that I stopped wearing, partially because the ties ripped out of the back and partially because I decided I didn't like the style on me. It's hard to tell from the picture, but the print is very Asian-esque, with some kind of fruit (too pink for plum, but the fruits are too large for cherry) blossoms and little dark green people--I think it's geishas and samurai, but I'm not totally certain. Anyway, since I refuse to pick up on the pink and I couldn't find a good green to go with, I've gotten some tan cotton to work with. The end product I'm envisioning is very similar to this (though I had that picture in my head before I stumbled on the anthropologie dress, really!) It won't be identical--I'm trying to work out in my head how to get a v-neck look on this with the fabric trim, without it being too low-cut for my comfort. And I may end up with a tunic rather than a dress, since I do like the idea of the 3/4 sleeve with the trim so we'll see how much of the bottom I need to craft sleeves.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Comments will appear after moderation. Just trying to keep the spambots at bay.


Thanks for taking the time to comment--your feedback is most certainly appreciated!